NewsBite

Macquarie Head campers get ‘security’ under new deal

SITE holders at a popular West Coast campground have been granted a reprieve after a year of uncertainty over future access to their little piece of paradise.

The Macquarie Heads campsite at Strahan. Picture: CHRIS KIDD
The Macquarie Heads campsite at Strahan. Picture: CHRIS KIDD

SITE holders at a popular West Coast campground have been granted a reprieve after a year of uncertainty over future access to their little piece of paradise, despite decades of use.

About 100 long-term campers last year feared compliance changes in line with the West Coast Council’s plans to expand the campground and get more tourists would see sites packed up and perhaps lost.

The Macquarie Heads campground is about 13km out of Strahan and currently has about 100 sites. Some site holders have camped for 30 years or more under a system where site permits were renewed every three years and long-term spots almost guaranteed.

But talk of a new ballot system raised concerns they would be forced to either give up their homes away from home or be forced to relocate every 12 months.

West Coast Mayor Phil Vickers said that after a “complex” negotiation of a new 10-year Head Lease with the Crown, the council would grant existing temporary permit holders a further four-year temporary permit.

Any new permit holders after June 30 this year will be granted two-year temporary permits.

“Council believes these arrangements will provide existing permit holders with the security they need,” Mayor Vickers said.

“New permit holders will be given two-year temporary permits, which I think will be sufficient to attract new users to the area.”

The council has received a State Government grant of $200,000 to expand the campground.

“With receipt of the State Government grant and an additional $350,000 flagged for next year’s budget by council, we can now move forward to not only ensure the long-term sustainability of the campground but look to create a best practice operation and an exciting drawcard for tourism into the future” he said.

“Council will now contact all existing permit holders to discuss the new arrangements and do the necessary scoping and planning to get the upgrade/expansion project under way in the next financial year.”

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.themercury.com.au/lifestyle/travel/macquarie-head-campers-get-security-under-new-deal/news-story/369f124b89bd39c87e7c0a50953ce3ea