Vigil to be held after man charged with mother’s murder at Gap home
A vigil will be held for the 79-year-old woman who was allegedly murdered by her son in a horrific incident that has left a community on Brisbane’s northside shaken.
QLD News
Don't miss out on the headlines from QLD News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
A community vigil will be held for Ceclia Webb on Sunday, less than a week after the 79-year-old was allegedly murdered by her son on Brisbane’s northside.
Alexander Clive Webb, 40, has since been charged with the domestic violence murder of Ms Webb at The Gap on Monday, March 24.
Police will allege Webb killed his elderly mother with a Japanese cooking knife then bought a ticket to Tokyo and tried to flee the country.
He was arrested at Brisbane International Airport on Monday evening just hours after he allegedly stabbed Ms Webb in her front garden.
Member for Cooper Jonty Bush posted on Facebook on Wednesday that Ms Webb’s death had “rocked our community, bringing the tragic reality of [alleged] family violence and elder abuse into sharp relief”.
Ms Bush said a community vigil had been organised for Ms Webb on Sunday, March 30 at Moses Adsett Park in The Gap.
The community has been asked to arrive by 4pm for a 4.15pm start.
“This is an opportunity for our community, for neighbours and friends to be together, and if people wish to share their stories of Cecilia and what she meant to us there will certainly be opportunities to do that,” Ms Bush said.
“Queensland Police will be attending, as will relevant support services … information on support and counselling options will also be available.
“This is a community event, you don’t have to have known Cecilia to come and pay your respects. It’s important to remember her.”
Ms Bush urged anyone in the community who is struggling to reach out to her office on 3554 9100.
Queensland Police Detective Inspector Michael Jones said Ms Webb’s death was horrific.
“I’ve been an investigator for over 20 years and it was one of the worst crime scenes I’ve seen.”
Ms Webb was found by emergency crews unresponsive on her front lawn about 4.25pm on Monday and was declared dead at the scene.
Insp Jones said police will allege Webb went to his mother’s home with a Japanese cooking knife he had recently purchased and stabbed her multiple times.
When asked if Ms Webb tried to defend herself and fight back, Insp Jones said: “Certainly some of the wounds that she received were defensive wounds, so yes.”
Webb was also allegedly injured in the ordeal.
Police will allege Webb then fled on foot through the suburb, sparking a mass manhunt which included Polair, the dog squad, tactical crime squad, and several crews scouring the area.
Insp Jones said police soon discovered Webb had allegedly caught an Uber from a nearby street to a South Brisbane address, before catching another Uber to the Brisbane International Airport.
Insp Jones said Webb had bought a plane ticket after the alleged murder and was attempting to travel to Tokyo.
Insp Jones said investigators believed Webb was heading towards the airport area and had sent resources and notified the Australian Federal Police.
“We provided them with a picture of that person and then further along we realised he was actually at the airport.
”And as a result of patrols conducted by both QPS and AFP, that male was located and arrested.”
Bodycam footage from Webb’s arrest shows multiple AFP police officers pinning him down on the concrete outside the Brisbane International Airport terminal.
The footage shows his bandaged and bloody hands being handcuffed, and his large suitcase nearby.
Webb, who lives in Victoria, had been in Queensland with family and just days earlier had posted to Instagram about visiting Australia Zoo.
Insp Jones said the lead-up and motive for the murder were still being investigated.
Speaking on Tuesday morning, Inspector Jones said Webb had so far refused to be interviewed by detectives.
Webb was charged with domestic violence murder and had his case briefly mentioned in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
He was remanded in custody, with the matter adjourned to April 22.
Insp Jones appealed for people to come forward if they had any information relating to Ms Webb or her son. Information to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or Policelink on 131 444.
Originally published as Vigil to be held after man charged with mother’s murder at Gap home