NewsBite

Horse racing fans left furious after TV coverage missed photo finish of main Derby Day race

Horse racing fans were livid after they were unable to watch the result of the Derby Day main race’s photo finish after the broadcast was cut in regional areas.

Derby Day Birdcage 2023
The Australian Business Network

Horse racing fans were left furious on Derby Day when Network Ten’s affiliate broadcaster Southern Cross Austereo cut to an ad break with just hundreds of metres to go in the main race and before the photo finish had been decided.

Ten has a five-year broadcast deal with the Victoria Racing Club that ends this year and it holds rights to the Melbourne Cup Carnival including Derby Day, Melbourne Cup, Oaks Day and Stakes Day.

SCA uses the provider NPC Media to facilitate its racing broadcasts. An NPC Media spokesman said it had, “made the unfortunate error of switching to an ad break” on Saturday afternoon when the main race result was still unfolding.

“We sincerely apologise for the interruption to the race coverage and we are investigating the incident,” he said.

Impacted viewers included those watching Channel 10 in southern NSW, regional Victoria and regional Qld, NT, SA (Spencer Gulf) and Tasmania.

Viewers were left gobsmacked when the victory by Riff Rocket in a photo finish couldn’t be watched after the broadcast shot to an ad break prematurely.

Many sports fans posted their annoyance on social media platform X, formerly Twitter.

One viewer wrote: “Just watched the wors(t) day of TV racing coverage ever, Channel 10 coverage was worse than ­pathetic, a photo finish in the Derby and they go immediately to a 6-ad break.

“Nothing but an absolute joke #MelbCupCarnival #patheticCupWeekOn10.”

While another fan wrote, “Channel 10 cutting to an ad break with 400 to go in the Derby. Thank god they are losing the rights next year #farcial #DerbyDay.”

Official ratings data from OzTAM showed Ten’s Derby Day broadcast had 72,000 viewers in the five major cities and another 35,000 regional viewers.

An SCA spokeswoman confirmed the error and apologised for disrupting the broadcast.

“We would like to apologise to 10 viewers in the affected markets for this broadcast interruption and are working with NPC Media to ensure this does not happen again,” she said.

The TV rights have not been decided for 2024 onwards, however it’s likely Nine will take over from Ten in a deal that could span up to six years.

Sophie Elsworth
Sophie ElsworthEurope Correspondent

Sophie is Europe correspondent for News Corporation Australia and began reporting from Europe in November 2024. Her role includes covering all the big issues in Europe reporting for titles including The Daily and Sunday Telegraphs, daily and Sunday Herald Sun, The Courier-Mail and Brisbane's Sunday Mail and Adelaide's The Advertiser and Sunday Mail as well as regional and community brands. She has worked at numerous News Corp publications throughout her career and was media writer at The Australian, based in Melbourne, for four years before moving to the UK. She has also worked as a reporter at the Herald Sun in Melbourne, The Advertiser in Adelaide and The Courier-Mail in Brisbane and on the Sunshine Coast. Sophie regularly appears on TV and is a Sky News Australia contributor appearing on primetime programs including Credlin and The Kenny Report, a role she continues while in Europe. She graduated from university with a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws degrees and grew up on a sheep farm in central Victoria.

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/horse-racing-fans-left-furious-after-tv-coverage-missed-photo-finish-of-main-derby-day-race/news-story/583f3e7d7523db8bf05c0cc3a03441ba