NewsBite

Video

Hoppers Crossing man charged after couple allegedly held hostage at knifepoint in violent Donvale home invasion

Police have arrested and charged a Hoppers Crossing man after an elderly couple were allegedly held captive at knifepoint during a terrifying home invasion in Donvale.

Police investigating a violent home invasion have arrested and charged a man

Police investigating a violent home invasion have arrested and charged a man after an elderly couple were allegedly held captive at knifepoint in Melbourne’s east.

In what detectives believe was a case of mistaken identity, the men dressed all in black burst into a Donvale home with a 65-year-old woman and a 67-year-old man inside about 9pm on June 29 last year.

The group allegedly tied one of the victim’s hands behind their backs and covered the face of another before assaulting the couple and ransacking their Beckett Rd home, stealing about $160,000 worth of luxury watches and gold jewellery.

The thieves are believed to have stolen 10 high-end watches, including a Cartier and two Rolexes, and a gold necklace during the ordeal.

Police on Friday moved to arrest a 23-year-old Hoppers Crossing man in that suburb.

Police investigating a violent home invasion have arrested and charged a man after an elderly couple were allegedly held captive at knifepoint in Donvale Picture: Victoria Police
Police investigating a violent home invasion have arrested and charged a man after an elderly couple were allegedly held captive at knifepoint in Donvale Picture: Victoria Police

He was slapped with a series of charges including aggravated home invasion, false imprisonment, common law assault and theft.

He is due to front Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday afternoon.

Police are still hunting a second man who is also believed to be aged in his 20s and of Pacific Islander appearance, with a tattoo across the front of his neck.

Eastern Region Crime Squad Detective Senior Sergeant Justin Mercovich said the incident was “incredibly stressful” for the couple.

“We are committed to identifying those responsible and holding them to account,” he said.

“We are keen to speak to anyone who witnessed the group in Beckett Road, Donvale on the night or noticed any suspicious activity in the area in the days leading up to the incident.

“If anyone did see the group, or has any CCTV or dashcam footage, then I urge you to come forward and contact police or Crime Stoppers.”

Two Rolex watches were among the stolen items. Picture: Victoria Police.
Two Rolex watches were among the stolen items. Picture: Victoria Police.
One of the 10 stolen watches was a Panerai Black Seal watch. Picture: Victoria Police.
One of the 10 stolen watches was a Panerai Black Seal watch. Picture: Victoria Police.

Several violent home invasions have plagued Melbourne residents.

On April 10, a group of men pretending to be police officers forced their way into a family’s Doncaster East home where they stole $400,000 worth of jewellery.

Last month, three offenders left a 74-year-old man with life-threatening head and facial injuries after they broke into his Beaumaris home while he and his wife were inside.

Two 16-year-old boys have been charged with murdering Doncaster doctor Ash Gordon during an aggravated burglary on January 13.

Anyone who recognises the men believed to be involved in the incident at Donvale or has information that could assist investigators should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at crimestoppersvic.com.au.

Original URL: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/couple-held-hostage-at-knifepoint-in-violent-donvale-home-invasion/news-story/5f82580ad763980b8fa1268e77255c44