Jayden Sobey, Adam O’Brien: Charges dropped against men accused of forcing man to cut own penis
Charges have been dropped against two men previously accused of forcing another man to cut off part of his penis in a violent home invasion, less than two weeks before they were due to face trial.
Police & Courts
Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Charges have been dropped against two men previously accused of forcing another man to cut off part of his penis in a violent home invasion.
The Crown will no longer be proceeding with the cases against Jayden Daniel Sobey and Adam Robert O’Brien, the Southport District Court was told on Wednesday morning.
Both men were previously charged with grievous bodily harm, torture, and deprivation of liberty.
It was previously alleged the pair broke into a Mermaid Beach home on September 7, 2020, preventing the man inside from leaving before forcing him to cut off a small part of his own penis.
It was reported at the time of their arrests that the men were allegedly armed with knives and forced the man to sit in the lounge, telling their alleged victim: “You’re not going anywhere until you cut your d**k off”.
A court was previously told the man allegedly used a serrated knife to cut off about 2mm from the tip of his penis, leaving him with ongoing pain and difficulty urinating.
An alleged motive for the alleged incident has never been publicly reported.
A third man, Jaydon Keith Karaitiana, was sentenced in Southport District Court earlier this year for offences related to the alleged home invasion. He was no longer charged with being involved in the more serious alleged offending.
Mr Sobey and Mr O’Brien were less than two weeks away from facing trial when the charges were dropped.
The court was told during an earlier mention last week that the Crown was considering its position on both cases and finalising consultations with police.
It was also heard Mr O’Brien was serving an unrelated jail sentence in New South Wales and would unlikely be able to be brought to Queensland to face trial for several years.