Man, 67, faces Bundaberg Court after exposing himself at local park
‘UNSAVOURY’: The court heard the man didn’t know it was an offence to expose himself in public.
Police & Courts
Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.
A court has heard how a couple were left shocked after a man exposed himself at a local park.
John Michael Walton, 67, pleaded guilty in Bundaberg Magistrates Court on Monday to one charge of wilful exposure.
The court heard the couple were in their car eating breakfast at Queens Park on January 29.
One of the victims called Policelink after they saw Walton relieving himself in front of the pair.
When police arrived the couple pointed out Walton to the officers.
Police approached Walton and told him they were investigating an exposure complaint.
When officers asked Walton if he had exposed his genitalia to the man and woman he initially denied it, saying he was fixing up his pants and that they may have fallen out of the bottom of his shorts and didn't mean for it to happen.
When police asked Walton why he was pulling at his shorts he then made admissions to exposing himself to the victims.
Walton told police he didn't know it was an offence to expose himself in public and that when he went to the Gold Coast people would "walk around naked all the time".
Police then spoke again with the couple with one of them telling the officers Walton had stopped his vehicle near theirs and he saw he was exposed.
When the male victim expressed his disbelief to his partner, she saw Walton near the car relieving himself.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Tina Bland told the court the couple were shocked by what they had seen, with the female victim feeling unsafe.
Sen Const Bland said the female warned a group of ladies who were approaching the area.
She said Walton did not have a criminal history and described the offence as "unsavoury".
Duty lawyer Lavonda Maloy told the court her client was "extremely remorseful" and "extremely embarrassed" by his conduct and that his behaviour was "out of character".
She said Walton had been in the area looking for a fishing spot and "didn't know why he engaged in the conduct that he did".
Ms Maloy said it was unlikely Walton would be before the courts again.
Magistrate Andrew Moloney took into account Walton's plea of guilty and that it came at an early opportunity.
Mr Moloney also took into account Walton's embarrassment and that he had made it to 67 years old without ever being before the courts.
Walton was fined $200 and a conviction was not recorded.
More stories
Man in court for exposing himself at local shopping centre
NAMED: Man used internet upgrade to download child porn
GREAT DEAL: $1 for the best local news, great rewards
Originally published as Man, 67, faces Bundaberg Court after exposing himself at local park