Manchester United star Mason Greenwood arrested over rape claim
Photographs and videos posted online show injuries a woman had allegedly suffered to her face and other parts of her body.
Manchester United and England forward Mason Greenwood has been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault after a woman posted a series of images and videos on social media.
Little more than an hour after Manchester United issued a statement saying it had suspended the 20-year-old striker, Greater Manchester Police said a man was being held in custody for questioning.
A GMP statement read: “An investigation was launched and following inquiries we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault. He remains in custody for questioning.”
The photographs and videos displayed injuries the woman had allegedly suffered to her face and other parts of her body.
On her Instagram account, there was also a distressing audio file of an argument between a man and a woman. These have been taken down.
Earlier, United issued a statement saying it “did not condone violence of any kind”, adding that the club would not be commenting further “until the facts have been established”.
However, shortly after 3.30pm on Sunday local time, the club put out another statement explaining the forward, who signed a new £75,000-a-week contract last year, had been suspended while inquiries continued.
“Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice,” United said.
Police officers visited the woman’s family home in Stockport on Sunday, with her father telling MailOnline she had given a statement to officers.
He said she was “completely devastated” and claimed his daughter’s mobile phone had been “hacked” and that it was not her intention for the images and videos to have appeared online.
Greenwood has a lucrative contract with Nike. A spokesman for the sportswear giant said it was “deeply concerned” by the allegations.
The Times