NewsBite

Celebrities fuel rumours of LA fires being started by arsonist

Tensions are running high in Los Angeles, with the city contending with uncontained fires, water shortages, curfews to avoid looting and evacuation orders for more than 150,000 residents.

An emergency vehicle drives past destroyed homes as the Palisades Fire continues to burn. Picture: AFP
An emergency vehicle drives past destroyed homes as the Palisades Fire continues to burn. Picture: AFP

Celebrities fuelled rumours that the California wildfires were the work of arsonists as the death toll reached double figures.

Tensions ran high in Los Angeles on the fourth day of the fires that are still not contained. The city is contending with water shortages, curfews to avoid looting and evacuation orders for more than 150,000 residents. At least 11 people have died and more than 10,000 structures have been destroyed by five separate fires.

A fire in the Pacific Palisades neighbourhood has consumed more than 20,000 acres - bigger than the island of Manhattan - while another near Pasadena, called the Eaton fire, has surpassed 14,000 acres. Three other fires continued to burn on Friday.

Meanwhile, a man was arrested for allegedly attempting to start a fire near a home in Woodland Hills, an area near a fire in the west of the city.

Death toll rises to 10 as California wildfires continue rampage

Residents reported seeing a man riding around on a bicycle carrying a “flamethrower” and trying to set old Christmas trees alight. He was tackled by passers by, according to reports, who zip-tied him until police arrived.

However, Dominic Choi, an assistant police chief, said that after a major crimes investigation detectives had concluded there was “not enough probable cause” to charge the man with arson. The suspect, who was homeless, according to reports, was charged with a felony probation violation.

It was not enough to stop rumours of arsonists spreading. Henry Winkler, the actor best known for playing Fonzie in the sitcom Happy Days, wrote on X on Wednesday: “THERE IS an ARSONIST here in LA. May you be beaten you unrecognizable !!! The pain you have caused !!!”

He later shared news reports of the arrest of the suspected arsonist.

Alison Sweeney, an American soap opera actress, expressed her agreement on X while Chris Brown, the R&B singer, also suggested the fires were being started intentionally.

Actor Henry Winkler. Picture: Getty
Actor Henry Winkler. Picture: Getty

Andrew Huberman, a neuroscientist and celebrity podcaster, shared a video of a fire in Santa Monica on X, suggesting it had been started deliberately.

“People are lighting fires in otherwise non-burning areas of LA,” Huberman said. “We don’t need more flames out here. Some of those guys lit that fire ... the tree has caught fire, and the palms are catching fire.”

The police continue to investigate the cause of the fires.

Khaled Fouad and Mimi Laine inspect a family member's property that was destroyed by Eaton Fire in Altadena, California. Picture: AFP
Khaled Fouad and Mimi Laine inspect a family member's property that was destroyed by Eaton Fire in Altadena, California. Picture: AFP
Satellite Imagery Shows Smoke Billowing From Fires Raging in LA Area

Gavin Newsom, the governor of California, has called for an independent investigation into issues with the water supply while firefighters were attempting to beat back the flames.

Officials reported drops in water pressure that may have hampered relief efforts.

Newsom has been criticised by Donald Trump, who says his environmental policies contributed to the disaster.

“Losing supplies from fire hydrants likely impaired the effort to protect some homes and evacuation corridors,” Newsom wrote in a letter to the chief executive of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power and the director of LA County Public Works. “We need answers to how that happened.”

Newsom, a Democrat, called on officials to “swiftly prepare a comprehensive review” of the loss of water pressure and document the causes.

He CC’d Karen Bass, the LA mayor who has been strongly criticised for being out of the country when the fires began.

Identities of those killed in the fires have begun to emerge.

Anthony Mitchell, a 67-year-old amputee, and his son, Justin, who has cerebral palsy, were waiting for an ambulance to pick them up in Altadena, which was devastated by the Eaton fire.

“They didn’t make it out,” Mitchell’s daughter, Hajime White, said.

White added that Mitchell was found by the side of his son’s bed. The family believes he was trying to save Justin, who was in his early twenties.

Victor Shaw stayed behind in an attempt to save the family home in Altadena. The 66-year-old was found dead still holding a garden hose, Al Tanner, a family friend told KTLA.

“It looks like he was trying to save the home that his parents had for almost 55 years,” he said.

Rodney Nickerson, 82, died in his bed at his home in Altadena, his daughter Kimiko said. She spoke to KTLA while standing by the still smouldering remains of the family home.

Kimiko said her father bought the house in 1968 with a dollars 5 down payment and raised his family there.

Flames from the Palisades Fire burn a residential building on Sunset Boulevard. Picture: AFP
Flames from the Palisades Fire burn a residential building on Sunset Boulevard. Picture: AFP

Erliene Kelley, an 83-year-old grandmother, also died in the flames, according to her family.

Her granddaughter Briana Navarro said Kelley chose to stay behind in Altadena because previous fires had never reached their home. However, the house was destroyed in the blaze and the family lost everything.

“She was adamant about staying,” Navarro told the Los Angeles Times. “My husband kept asking her if she was sure, if she didn’t want to come with us.”

President Biden said on Friday that the scenes of devastation had reminded him “of a war scene, where you had certain targets that were bombarded”.

He that there was “clear evidence of looting” during the mayhem, but also criticised “demagogues” for spreading disinformation about the fires.

Nathan Hochman, the Los Angeles district attorney, warned that suspected arsonists would feel the full force of the law.

“Justice will be swift. It will be firm, and the maximum punishment will be sought,” Hochman told NewsNation.

He also said the California National Guard would be drafted in to protect neighbourhoods.

National Guardsman directing traffic near fire-damaged structures.

Twenty people have been arrested on suspicion of looting and the sheriff’s department introduced an overnight curfew in fire areas as a response.

“I promise you, you will be held accountable. Shame on those who are preying on our residents during this time of crisis,” Kathryn Barger, a member of the Los Angeles County board of supervisors, said.

The fires that began on Tuesday have caused what experts believe will be record-breaking damages. The financial services company Wells Fargo estimated that the total losses could surpass dollars 60 billion.

Red flag weather warnings remained in place on Friday as powerful gusts continued to fan the flames, though firefighters were expecting a reprieve on Saturday with gentler winds.

In a sign of progress, California’s Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said the Palisades fire that laid waste to one of Los Angeles’ most desirable neighbourhoods was 8 per cent contained.

However, forecasters warned the winds could pick up again on Sunday, a frightening prospect for those battling the blazes.

The Times

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/celebrities-fuel-rumours-of-la-fires-being-started-by-arsonist/news-story/54702d3015242e4af5438be73bfed05b