NewsBite

Advertisement

Long queues at MCG amid increased security after gun scare slows entry to Tigers v Lions clash

By Jon Pierik

Football fans were greeted by more thorough security – and long queues – at the MCG on Saturday as authorities acted after an alleged gun scare at the ground on Thursday night.

Ahead of the clash between Richmond and the Brisbane Lions, a strong police presence was also felt, as patrons patiently queued to enter the ground.

Richmond and Brisbane Lions fans queue to enter the MCG on Saturday after security was heightened following a gun scare on Thursday night.

Richmond and Brisbane Lions fans queue to enter the MCG on Saturday after security was heightened following a gun scare on Thursday night.Credit: Penny Stephens

On Thursday night, two men – who were both already on bail – were arrested and charged after guns were allegedly found hidden down their pants in a major breach of the stadium’s security as 82,000 fans watched Carlton’s round-four loss to Collingwood.

Following the incident, the Melbourne Cricket Club said it would increase security screening at the ground this weekend.

On Saturday afternoon, fans reported the queues took longer to subside than normal as smaller groups were initially allowed through stage one of security using AI-powered body scanners and weapon detectors designed by technology company Evolv.

Fans then had their bags searched, with some – including this journalist – of the belief that this was more thorough than usual as all pockets were checked. The final search came from a manual body scanner, also known as a wand.

“After what happened, they needed to improve something, but they need to improve the flow [of the queue], particularly if this is a Friday night game, and everyone gets here at 6.30pm,” Stephen, a Tigers supporter from Melbourne’s west who did not want his surname reported, said.

“It’s changed from round one. It looks like they have slowed the flow of people to scan them properly.”

Advertisement

However, Richmond fanatic Brett Beattie, typically known as Trout from Woodend on talkback radio, was concerned about the time fans had to enter the ground.

“They open an hour and 15 minutes before the opening bounce. It used to be two hours. That’s why the lines are long,” Beattie said.

Tigers fan Steven queuing to get into the MCG for Saturday’s game against the Lions after security was increased following Thursday night’s incident.

Tigers fan Steven queuing to get into the MCG for Saturday’s game against the Lions after security was increased following Thursday night’s incident. Credit: Penny Stephens

“If this was raining today, people would be upset. All the money they have spent, where is the cover, when we open up our bags, when it’s raining? The AFL need to start to look after the rank-and-file members.”

Beattie said he had no concerns attending the match despite the incident on Thursday night.

Loading

“No, I don’t have any concerns. The machines picked it up, but the next stage didn’t pick it up. Fix that. If that means you didn’t have enough staff there, or you have got people that aren’t being paid enough, get the right people,” Beattie said.

MCC boss Stuart Fox said the initial screening units on Friday had identified “items of concern” but there had been a breakdown in the thoroughness of the secondary and manual screening process.

Maxine Wain, from Mooroolbark, said she did not have any issues with the queues.

“They have always been searching your bags for a while, not just because what happened the other night,” Wain said.

“If you are worried about it, you have got something to hide.”

Wain’s neighbour, Aaron Turnbull, from Mooroolbark, noticed a heightened security presence.

“There are a lot of police walking in pairs, and so they should be,” he said.

Maxine Wain and Aaron Turnbull (centre)  from Mooroolbark queue with friends and family outside the MCG before the game as they await entry due to increased security.

Maxine Wain and Aaron Turnbull (centre) from Mooroolbark queue with friends and family outside the MCG before the game as they await entry due to increased security.Credit: Penny Stephens

Turnbull said there were “pros and cons” about the heightened searches, but “if you have got nothing to hide, you shouldn’t be concerned”.

“I am all for being safe,” he said.

Fans reported staff were friendly and courteous as they went about their security checks.

Get alerts on significant breaking news as happens. Sign up for our Breaking News Alert.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading

Original URL: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/long-queues-at-mcg-as-increased-security-after-gun-scare-slows-entry-to-tigers-v-lions-clash-20250405-p5lpfn.html