A teenager who slashed a stranger across the head with a machete in a brazen attack on a busy St Kilda street will spend three more months behind bars after a magistrate lashed his conduct as “extremely dangerous” and urged him to turn his life around before somebody was killed.
The Victorian Children’s Court magistrate sentenced the 15-year-old boy on Thursday to five months in jail and slapped him with a criminal conviction for the machete attack in St Kilda, minus the 66 days he has already served.
A 15-year-old boy accused of a machete attack and armed robbery in St Kilda.Credit: Seven News
The teenager, who cannot be named due to his age, was on four counts of bail for crimes stretching back nine months when he boarded the train from regional Victoria to St Kilda with a machete hidden in his pants in January.
The court heard the teenager – who has an intellectual disability, severe language disorder and diagnoses of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism – approached a 39-year-old man on Barkly Street, while holding a large machete, and demanded the man hand over his phone and car keys about 9pm on January 12.
When the man crossed the road in an attempt to get away, the teenager followed him. As the man walked towards Talbot Reserve police said the boy struck the man to the back of the head with the side of the edged weapon, causing a 10-centimetre-long wound.
In handing down his sentence, the magistrate said the teenager’s offending had gone from “bad to worse”.
“This victim was struck by you and struck badly,” the magistrate said. “This is very serious and dangerous offending.”
The teenager has previously pleaded guilty to a slew of charges including intentionally causing serious injury and assault with a weapon.
In pushing for his release from custody, his barrister Karen Chibert told the court the boy had an IQ of about 62 and was “extremely vulnerable” due his disabilities and susceptibility to be easily influenced by those around him.
She said the teenager had shown remorse for his offending, pleaded guilty to all charges as soon as he could, had shown a willingness to work with support services and expressed a desire to reconnect with his family and return to school upon his release.
”He knows what he did was wrong,” she said. “He is ready for change in perhaps a way he wasn’t when he was first remanded … He’s a young person with intellectual disability. He’s not a mastermind able to manipulate youth justice.”
The court heard the teenager had struggled while in custody and already been victim to two assaults by other young offenders.
However, the prosecution argued that while custody was a last resort for a young person with an intellectual disability, the teenager should remain incarcerated for longer due to the seriousness of his offending and the need to protect the community and ensure the right support was put in place before his release.
“Supports can be put in place while he is in custody,” the prosecutor said.
Detective Senior Constable Timothy Paltridge previously told the court several members of the public witnessed the attack and filmed the incident before rendering assistance.
The court was told the boy was intoxicated at the time and had consumed a bottle of vodka.
The attack with the machete was one of a string of violent offences over which the teenager was charged including a separate attack on a night nurse in a foiled carjacking months earlier, as well other incidents leading to charges for robbery, theft, driving and weapons offences.
For all the crimes outside the St Kilda machete attack, including the nurse attack, the teenager was given a 12-month youth supervision order with special conditions and no conviction.
“You can’t get into any more trouble,” the magistrate said, directing his comments at the teenager who was nodding his head as he sat in the dock dressed in a navy-blue singlet.
“When you make a decision, there are consequences for that.
“We, the community, cannot be put at risk by your behaviour.
“This is very much about protecting the community and you doing the right thing.”
The teenager’s sentence comes as new Crime Statistics Agency Data shows repeat youth offenders are driving a 13.2 per cent rise in Victorian crime rates to levels not seen in almost a decade.
The data shows crimes committed by children aged 10 to 17 rose last year to their highest levels since electronic records began in 1993.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.