‘No one is being bad about this’: Celeste Barber calls in lawyers over $52m RFS donation
She raised millions for bushfire victims in a matter of days – but Celeste Barber’s $52 million RFS donation has yet to help a single person.
Lawyers for Celeste Barber and the NSW Rural Fire Service are in discussions to find a way to unlock and distribute more than $50 million raised by the comedian’s bushfire appeal.
None of the $51.2 million has been spent due to RFS rules that state donations directed to the trustee of the service must be spent on firefighting equipment and training, not on families or charities, the Sunday Telegraph reports.
RELATED: Everything you need to know about Fire Fight Australia
RELATED: Fire Fight Australia: Russell Crowe to present tribute
Barber’s online appeal last month attracted more than one million donations from around the world as catastrophic bushfires devastated parts of NSW and the country.
RFS spokesman Ben Shepherd said the service wanted to distribute the money in line with Barber’s wishes and both sides’ lawyers would try to find a way.
“No one is being bad about this, it’s all very amicable, and we will try and see her wishes through,” he told the newspaper.
“But, as it stands, the RFS is the beneficiary and we can’t donate money people gave us to other charities.”
Fellow RFS spokesman James Morris said the service wants to distribute the money in line with Barber’s wishes but it isn’t confident it could be done because of legal reasons.
“We have our lawyers working with Celeste’s lawyers to find a way this can be done,” he told AAP on Sunday.
He reiterated that “everyone is being amicable about it” and they are working together “to hopefully come to a solution”.
The NSW RFS trust exists solely for the purpose of supporting the volunteer-based fire and emergency service to assist with the cost of purchasing and maintaining firefighting equipment and providing training to volunteers, Mr Morris added.
The setback comes as Barber prepares to host the huge Fire Fight Australia bushfire relief concert in Sydney on Sunday.
Hey billionaires, Notre Dame burning down sucked. I get it. Times that by a trillion and that’s what’s happening in Australia. Feel free to flick us a quick couple of million. You make it seem pretty easy. https://t.co/HHemX5P3KM
— Celeste barber (@celestebarber_) January 7, 2020
Profits from the event will go to the Red Cross’ disaster relief and recovery fund, rural and regional fire services and the RSPCA’s bushfire appeal.
The mammoth show, which will run for 10 hours on Sunday, is playing host to international and local music icons – and can now be watched by viewers all around the world.
“The aim of Fire Fight Australia is to raise much-needed funds and support for the many Australians who have been affected by the tragic fires, and this international exposure takes the effort global,” Foxtel’s executive director of television Brian Walsh said.
This is my Mother in Law Joy Robin. She’s on the wharf in Eden. She’s amazing, I’m so proud. @ScottMorrisonMP I wouldn’t try and shake her hand. pic.twitter.com/qz9b9VfxF3
— Celeste barber (@celestebarber_) January 5, 2020
Australia’s Foxtel network is feeding the broadcast of the historic concert to a potential audience of millions, with people in the US, UK and New Zealand now able to tune in.