Viewers’ scathing reaction to ‘farcical’ Block finale result
It was the most chaotic finale in the show’s 18-season history – and the stunning outcome of this year’s auctions has sparked a furious response.
The Block: Tree Change has finished up with one of the wildest finales in its 18-season history, leaving plenty of viewers furious.
During Sunday night’s nailbiting auctions, Omar Slaimankhel and Ozman ‘Oz’ Abu Malik were crowned the winners after making the largest profit over reserve of all five of the houses, while two of the properties were passed in.
Osman and Oz’s property sold for $5,666,666 in the first auction of the day – meaning they took home a record-breaking $1.6 million in prize money.
Rachel and Ryan Carr were the only other contestants to win a sizeable amount of money, with $169,000.50.
But judges’ favourites Tom Calleja and Sarah-Jane Wilson made a profit of just $20,000.99.
And it was a truly disastrous result for Dylan Adams and Jenny Heath and Sharon Johal and Ankur Dogra, with both their houses being passed in at auction.
All five teams were given the same reserve to clear of $4.08 million, with the houses on the market for a price guide of $4 to $4.4 million.
None of the contestants were happy with their reserve, with all teams expecting they’d come in at under $4 million – and after seeing the result, it seems plenty of viewers are on their side.
Havenât watched one minute til the Auction tonight. One word Farcical. $4m reserve price what a joke #theblock
— ð ´ð ³ð¦ðºð¦ (@SaintEd61) November 6, 2022
Wonât bother with #TheBlock next year unless they get rid of this $4 million home nonsense and go back to homes that everyday people have a chance of bidding on.
— Mark (@MarkTweetsAU) November 6, 2022
The price- too high for houses in the middle of nowhere. Very silly #theblock
— Christalla Ktorides (@CKtorides) November 6, 2022
So unrealistic. Tough times for most atm and this seasons excess just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Many are struggling to just pay their bills and this is what they serve up #theblock
— ð§TylerLegrande ð (@buntylegrande1) November 6, 2022
#theblock has seriously lost the plot. Why are they building five $4mil mansions in the middle of nowhere, and relying on a mad multimillionaire to bail them out? Why bother to move five old houses then dwarf them behind vast, unsympathetic barns?
— Pfizer Wilhelm (@PersonaRedacted) November 6, 2022
So who would have thought no-one wanted to buy an old Queenslander plonked next to a giant black shed on 10 acres in the middle of a mudpit in freezing country Victoria for over $4.5m. Who knew! #theblock
— Janelle Ballenden (@janelleballen) November 6, 2022
If your entire renovation show is dependent on one man coming in and buying all the houses then you need to tweak the formula #TheBlock
— Dash Jayasuriya (@gameonmoll) November 6, 2022
Having 5x $4M properties for sale at the same time in the same area???? Thereâs only so many people who can afford that sort of cash. #theblock
— Anna (@AnnaKEdwards) November 6, 2022
I fail to see what could possibly go wrong. Huge priced houses in a rural location that went way, way over budget in a rapidly worsening property market with sky rocketing interest rates. Gotta be a recipe to make money on #TheBlock right? right?
— Colonel Kickhead (@colonelkickhead) November 6, 2022
Letâs face it - Channel 9 completely messed that up. There was never going to be enough $4m+ buyers for country houses. #TheBlock
— Wendles (@wendyismyname) November 6, 2022
I said it last year and I'll say it this year
— Uniballer (@AKatsonis) November 6, 2022
The producers need to be all fired and new ones bought in. New judges too.
This is really embarrassing for the whole team who make the show. #theblock
Even host Scott Cam called this year’s finale “bittersweet”.
“We had one incredible high and some crushing lows for our Blockheads, who all worked the hardest I’ve ever seen to deliver these houses,” he said.
“As we’ve seen many times before, we’ll continue to negotiate with interested buyers to sell these homes, which are still on the market. I’m gunning for a positive result.”
The Block’s co-creator and executive producer Julian Cress said the mixed results reflected a “a very volatile real estate market”.
“While we had many registered bidders, clearly something has spooked the market. But we believe the properties are of incredible value and we think they will find new owners very soon, to deliver a well-deserved reward for our contestants’ hard work.”