NewsBite

Threatening email sent to Frankston schools linked to Parkdale shooting threat

A threatening email that sent schools into lockdown on Friday has been linked to a menacing school shooting note sent to students earlier this week.

Frankston High School was one of several schools in the suburb that locked its gates and told students to hide in their classrooms after lockdown alarms were activated just before 1pm. Picture: Supplied
Frankston High School was one of several schools in the suburb that locked its gates and told students to hide in their classrooms after lockdown alarms were activated just before 1pm. Picture: Supplied

Several schools in the southeastern suburbs were put into lockdown on Friday afternoon, after they received a “threatening email” believed to be linked to a menacing school shooting note sent to students earlier this week.

Frankston High School was one of several schools in the suburb that locked its gates and told students to hide in their classrooms after lockdown alarms were activated just before 1pm.

Students were kept inside for about half an hour before classes resumed as normal.

Other schools that reportedly went into lockdown according to parents were Frankston Heights Primary, Frankston Primary, Frankston East Primary and St John’s Primary.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said authorities were aware of a “threatening email” that was sent to a number of schools across the state, which prompted them to go into lockdown.

“The circumstances are being investigated however at this time it is not believed to be linked to any genuine threat to schools or the community,” she said.

Police believe Friday’s emails were linked to suspicious emails sent on Monday evening.

Those emails were sent to hundreds of students, including those at Parkdale Secondary College, and contained details of plans to carry out shootings at their schools.

Police believe Friday’s emails were linked to suspicious emails sent on Monday evening. Picture: Supplied
Police believe Friday’s emails were linked to suspicious emails sent on Monday evening. Picture: Supplied

The Victoria Police spokeswoman said the emails were also sent to schools in Balwyn, Parkdale, Brighton and Craigieburn.

“Further emails have been sent to schools in the Frankston area today, these are believed to be linked,” a Victoria Police spokeswoman said.

Monday’s menacing note, believed to have been sent by a hacker based in the United States, alerted students to a potential shooting incident at their school due to take place at 10am on Tuesday.

Students who received the email were startled by the subject heading: “You will all die tommorow (sic)”.

“Can’t wait to test out my new pistol tmrw (tomorrow) at school Tuesday @ 10:00AM,” it said.

“I’m going to be the only one walking out alive, can’t wait.”

After investigations by police and the Department of Education’s cybersecurity teams, the email was found to be a hoax with authorities deeming no threat to the school.

A Department of Education spokesman said multiple schools in the Frankston area implemented their student safety procedures after receiving information about a potential threat.

“Schools immediately informed Victoria Police and implemented their emergency management plans,” he said.

“Police visited the schools and, based on the information available, confirmed the schools could return to normal activities.”

Parents and carers were notified of the lockdown and wellbeing support is available to students and staff.

Victoria Police are urging anyone with information about the incidents to contact Crime Stoppers.

Original URL: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/threatening-email-that-put-schools-into-lockdown-potentially-linked-to-previous-school-shooting-threat/news-story/0bbd6395205dab51b7c417639fd3ac9d