State government document reveals details of proposed Federation Square East plan
Plans to put a roof over unsightly rail lines in the CBD have been around for decades, but a previously unreleased document has reignited hope of some action.
Victoria
Don't miss out on the headlines from Victoria. Followed categories will be added to My News.
An ambitious plan to roof over the CBD railyards appears a step closer, according to a secret state government document.
The paper outlines a vision for the mooted Federation Square East project, which needs public and private investment.
“Federation Square East will become a city-shaping civic project incorporating a mix of cultural and civic uses and high-quality public spaces,” it said.
“New paths will provide a high level of visual and physical permeability from Flinders Street to the edge of the (Yarra) river.”
The precinct vision for Spring Street South and Federation Square East is part of a previously unreleased redevelopment blueprint called Richmond to Docklands Framework Plan.
Spring Street South refers to a proposed development on a state-owned 1.4ha site on Flinders Street stretching from Exhibition Street to Wellington Parade South.
Now dubbed Treasury Square, the $2 billion project near the rail tracks will be developed by the private sector and include a hotel, offices and apartments.
Two bidders, Mirvac and Cbus Property, have been short-listed for the project.
The precinct vision document, obtained by the Sunday Herald Sun, said the development would be staged to enable existing at-grade land to be developed in the short-term while allowing for future development over the railway lines.
“Any potential to deck the exposed railway line would occur incrementally and would seek to achieve a long-term continuous ground plane between the CBD, Birrarung Marr and the river,” it said.
“New connections and public spaces through the site will connect the CBD to Birrarung Marr and the sports and entertainment precinct, and offer views towards Government House, the MCG, and the spires of St Patrick’s cathedral.”
In 2016, Federation Square East was put on hold indefinitely by the government amid the high cost to put a deck over the railyard, and overshadowing concerns.
However, the government has confirmed it is considering options for public space from Federation Square East to Birrarung Marr.
And it said the 2019 expressions of interest process for Treasury Square had attracted much interest from national and global organisations.
“Developing the land at Treasury Square presents an unprecedented opportunity to open up our city, create jobs, and attract new businesses,” a government spokeswoman said.
Greg Bisinella, from residents’ association the East Melbourne Group, said the Treasury Square process was lacking transparency and consultation for such a significant site.
“The development should proceed in conjunction with the overall Richmond to Docklands plan which has never been made public – it looks like a quick grab for money by the state government which will have negative consequences for all Melburnians and visitors for many years,” he said.
Urban Development Institute of Australia state CEO Danni Hunter said that new and exciting projects were needed to put Melbourne back on the map.
“We need the government to think outside the square and make what hasn’t been possible in the past, possible now,” she said.
MORE NEWS
NEW WATERSIDE PARK PLANNED FOR SOUTHBANK
‘GAME-CHANGING’ HUB TO LURE WORLD’S BEST ATHLETES TO VICTORIA