Police arrest 50 youth gang members and repeat offenders in huge school holiday sting
Police have arrested 50 people in a school holiday sting targeting violent youth gang members and repeat offenders across just four days in Melbourne’s west. Watch the video.
Victoria
Don't miss out on the headlines from Victoria. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Police have arrested 50 violent youth gang members and known repeat offenders as part of a major school holiday blitz across Melbourne’s western suburbs.
Officers arrested 20 children aged between 10-17 years old, 15 youths aged between 18-24 years old and 15 older offenders across just four days late last month.
Four of the 50 offenders were remanded, 15 were released with the intent to summons and 27 were bailed. Four others were released pending further enquiries.
As part of the major police sting, a Sunshine West man with known gang links was arrested after a terrifying midnight home invasion in Braybrook on March 28.
A crew of four male thugs allegedly smashed a window and forced their way into the home armed with knives and machetes about 12.35am.
The occupants of the home were forced into one room as the offenders threatened them with the weapons and demanded they hand over car keys and mobile phones.
The gang had targeted the wrong home but still made off with several mobiles before breaking into a neighbour’s home and stealing another phone.
Police arrested the 20-year-old known gang member and charged him with two counts of home invasion and trafficking a commercial quantity of methamphetamine.
Footage taken from the AirWing shows the moment almost a dozen officers arrested another man who allegedly stole a woman’s handbag brandishing a hammer about 12.05am on March 30.
Police deployed stop sticks and brought his Mitsubishi Lancer to a stop, arresting the 35-year-old Rockbank man in Truganina.
He was charged with armed robbery in will face Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on June 21.
Victoria Police acting detective senior sergeant Ryan Balzer said he would not tolerate youth gangs terrorising locals in Melbourne’s west.
“We know the school holiday period generally creates greater opportunities for youth gangs to offend, with more potential young victims around busy locations such as shopping centres, parks, and transport hubs,” he said.
“We are determined to disrupt anyone attempting to commit serious and violent crime, which is exactly what occurred in the western suburbs last week.
“50 people were arrested, including 20 children and 15 youth offenders – many of which were either connected to a youth gang or a known repeat youth offender.”
Sen. Sgt Balzer said the force’s Operation Alliance were continuing to dismantle violent youth gangs across the city.
“Victoria Police’s relentless pursuit of our state’s worst youth gangs is having an impact,” he added.
“As of today, 620 youth gang members across 43 youth gangs currently being actively monitored by Victoria Police.
“Due to a mixture of sustained enforcement and connecting young people to support services, this has reduced by 127 youth gang members since Operation Alliance was established in September 2020.”