Passenger overboard on Melbourne-bound Golden Princess cruise ship
Distressed passengers aboard a cruise ship where a young man “intentionally” fell overboard have claimed the alarm was not raised until the passenger was missing for almost 24 hours. The massive ship docked in Melbourne this morning.
VIC News
Don't miss out on the headlines from VIC News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Passengers aboard a cruise ship where a young man “intentionally” fell overboard have told how crews searched the entire ship in vain during their attempts to locate the 22-year-old.
The Golden Princess Cruise ship docked in Port Melbourne shortly before 7am Wednesday morning.
Several passengers told the Herald Sun the man was missing for almost 24 hours before staff were alerted and began searching.
One woman said staff searched her room in the early hours on Tuesday morning.
TERRIFIED PASSENGERS TELL OF ‘CRUISE FROM HELL’
GASTRO OUTBREAK HITS CRUISE SHIP
“They captain came over the speaker and asked the person to report immediately to staff,
“A little while later he said that unfortunately there was a missing person,” the woman said.
“They looked under the beds and in the shower — they looked everywhere.”
Another passenger said the captain made the announcement that they wouldn’t be turning the boat around to look for the young man because he had already been missing, presumed in the water, for too long.
Passengers on holiday said it was an upsetting situation for everyone on board.
“It’s terribly sad, it really upset the whole boat,” she said.
A crime scene van was seen entering station pier about 7.30am.
The cruise liner will continue on travelling to Adelaide today.
SUPPORT FOR PASSENGER’S FAMILY
The family of a passenger on a cruise ship that returned to Melbourne this morning are being provided support after CCTV showed he “intentionally” fell overboard.
The 22-year-old was on a 13-day Golden Princess cruise around New Zealand when he went missing at 9pm on Monday.
The ship had left Auckland and was travelling back to Melbourne when he fell.
Princess Cruises spokesman David Jones said the passenger’s family was being given support by the ship’s “care team”.
“CCTV footage has been reviewed and it sadly reveals that the guest has intentionally gone overboard from the ship,” he said.
“Given the time that has elapsed since he was last seen on-board by other guests, with the deepest regret, and in consultation with the Joint Rescue co-ordination Centre, we have accepted the expert view that there is unfortunately no likelihood of survival.
“Guests on Golden Princess have been asked to keep the missing guest and his family and friends in their thoughts and prayers.”
Person Missing From Golden Princess https://t.co/CKaxUTinup @PrincessCruises #cruise #travel disappearance at sea / remains to be seen whether ship was properly equipped with auto man overboard system . . . pic.twitter.com/OH2caiNkq1
â James (Jim) Walker (@CruiseLaw) January 22, 2019
The Golden Princess cruise ship currently returning to Melbourne from New Zealand has a missing person, presumed overboard. All cabins searched in the middle of the night and again this morning. Ship is giving up search and returning to Melbourne with permission from AU Gov
â It's a disgrace (@thus9) January 21, 2019
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority said they were notified of a missing passenger about 9pm Monday.
“Based on information supplied to AMSA and expert medical advice the time frame for survivability has passed,” a statement says.
Victoria Police will prepare a report for the Coroner.
The Golden Princess left Melbourne on January 10 after first departing Adelaide.
The ship’s next stop was the Fiordland National Park in New Zealand, followed by Dunedin, Akaroa and Wellington.
The ship then sailed to Auckland before beginning its return to Melbourne.
The 3.5 star cruise ship offers accommodation prices from $200 a night.
Princess Cruises have had two previous overboard tragedies in recent years.
A passenger in his 80s fell overboard on a cruise that departed Fremantle in May last year.
A 61-year-old man fell from the Golden Princess in 2017 when he was travelling from New Caledonia to Sydney. Searches failed to locate him.
If you or someone you know is in need of crisis or suicide prevention support, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or visit www.lifeline.org.au/gethelp