Golf banned in Victoria, other states could follow
Golf is banned in Victoria and the rest of Australia could soon follow as coronavirus restrictions spread through society. But frustrated golfers say the sport is “social distancing at its best.”
VIC News
Don't miss out on the headlines from VIC News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Golfers bunkered down by coronavirus restrictions in Victoria have asked why they’ve been banned from playing the game they love.
New rules outlawing golf on Victorian courses came into force at the weekend with clubs ordered to shut their doors and keep players off fairways and greens until at least April 13.
Victoria was on Sunday the only state where golf was banned, with play barred in towns such as Wodonga and Echuca but not across the NSW border in Albury and Moama.
But Golf Australia last night urged all clubs nationwide “to close until further notice” and a clearer ban on the sport is expected as early as today.
Golf Australia chairman Andrew Newbold said the recommendation were based on national limits on outdoor gatherings to two persons or fewer.
“While this is a difficult time for the golf industry and wider society, Golf Australia is committed to working with clubs and facilities across the states and territories to ensure that we return a vibrant, strong industry,’’ he said.
Sanctuary Lakes golfer Tim Newhouse said banning golf: “defies logic’’ when it was one of the few sports with natural social distancing.
“When we went out for 18 holes of golf on Thursday, the nearest anyone came to us according to my rangefinder was 138 metres,’’ he said.
“This was social distancing at its best.”
Mr Newhouse, his wife Angela and daughter Monique all lost their jobs last week and “the one thing keeping our spirits up’’ was “knowledge that at least we could play some golf’’.
“If a family self-isolating together at home can’t go out on a golf course and self-isolate there for four hours, then there is something very wrong.’’
Mrs Newhouse said: “I’m certainly a lot safer on the 10th at Sanctuary Lakes than I am in aisle 10 at Coles.’’
Golf Australia previously said “all Victorian golf clubs and facilities should close as soon as practicable’’ based on Victorian Department of Health and Human Services stage two COVID-19 restrictions.
A Victorian government spokesman said the move was in line with non-essential activity directions for recreational facilities ordered to reduce risks to public health.
Federal Sports Minister Richard Colbeck said it was up to individual states to implement social distancing rules.
“The Federal Government has not requested golf clubs to close,’’ he said.
Just last week, Melbourne golf clubs were spruiking steps taken to avoid the virus, such as leaving flag sticks in while putting, allowing only one person on motorised carts and removing sand buckets and bunker rakes
Other new rules included banning post-match handshakes and kisses and forcing players to take balls out of holes with a gloved hand.
MORE NEWS