NewsBite

Kylie Maybury murder: Mother Julie says she never gave up hope of justice

UPDATE: THE mother of Kylie Maybury — raped and killed almost 32 years ago — wiped away tears this morning as she came face-to-face with her daughter’s alleged murderer for the first time.

The callous murder of Kylie Maybury

THE mother of murdered child Kylie Maybury this morning came face-to-face with her daughter’s alleged killer for the first time, 32 years after the alleged crime.

Gregory Keith Davies, 73, appeared at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court this morning charged with the 1984 abduction, rape and murder of Kylie.

The Waterford Park man was flanked by two guards and placed in the glass dock of court one.

Wearing a dark green t-shirt, Mr Davies only spoke to magistrate John Hardy to indicate he could hear.

The court heard Davies would undergo a forensic procedure - a DNA test - on June 23, before the committal mention on September 29.

In the body of the court sat Kylie’s now frail mother Julie Maybury, who had driven from a rural location to see her daughter’s alleged killer for the first time.

Ms Maybury wiped away tears during the short court hearing.

Ms Maybury was flanked by her partner and police, and politely declined to comment outside the court.

Julie Maybury with a picture of her daughter this year.
Julie Maybury with a picture of her daughter this year.
Julie Maybury fronts the media after her daughter’s disappearance.
Julie Maybury fronts the media after her daughter’s disappearance.

Mr Davies, who suffers from high-blood pressure and asthma, was remanded in custody to reappear on September 29.

Earlier, Ms Maybury told the Herald Sun she never gave up hope of justice.

She said there was not a day when she had not thought about little Kylie, and she “couldn’t believe it” when homicide squad detectives arrested Davies at 9am yesterday..

Kylie had been sent to buy sugar from a local Preston corner shop when she was kidnapped and killed on Melbourne Cup Day in 1984. She was found dead in a gutter the next day.

“Nothing will bring Kylie back, but having somebody charged is a great result,” Ms Maybury said.

Police have never given up on the shocking case that shook Victoria.

Last night, Detective Inspector Mick Hughes said detectives who had originally worked on the case, as well as those who had done so more recently, were pleased with the breakthrough.

“If we get to a successful prosecution they will be very happy,” he said.

Mr Davies faced an out-of-sessions court hearing at Melbourne West police station last night.

“It is wonderful that the homicide squad continued to investigate leads even after all these years,” Ms Maybury told the Herald Sun.

.
.
Kylie Maybury. Picture: Photo File
Kylie Maybury. Picture: Photo File

“I never gave up hope of justice for Kylie, but I still couldn’t believe it when the detectives initially told me they had arrested a man and later that he had been charged.

“There has never been a day since 1984 that I haven’t thought about Kylie and looked for ways to get justice for what happened to her.”

Ms Maybury herself provided new information about a suspect to the homicide squad in recent weeks, information not related to the man who has been charged.

“I have had my suspicions over the years as to who it might have been and have told police so the case didn’t get forgotten about,” she said.

“I have always had this fear I might die without Kylie’s killer being caught.”

Mr Davies — wearing a cream jacket, brown shoes and black track pants with white stripes — clasped his hands during much of last night’s brief ­hearing.

Asked by bail justice Grant Coultman-Smith if there were any exceptional circumstances why he should be granted bail, he replied: “Not as yet, your honour.”

MAN CHARGED OVER KYLIE MAYBURY’S 1984 MURDER

SPECIAL FEATURE: 30th anniversary of Kylie Maybury tragedy

MOST SHOCKING: Kylie murder among Melbourne northern suburbs’ worst crimes

COLD CASE INVESTIGATIONS: Several new suspects emerged in Maybury case

UNSOLVED: Search 140+ homicide investigations in our Cold Case Files

Gregory Keith Davies, 73, accused killer of Kylie Maybury in out of sessions hearing. Sketch by Mitchell Toy
Gregory Keith Davies, 73, accused killer of Kylie Maybury in out of sessions hearing. Sketch by Mitchell Toy
.

Explaining how the hearing would work, the bail justice told Mr Davies: “This is my courtroom.”

Homicide squad detective Sgt Paul Rowe told the hearing Mr Davies was arrested at his Waterford Park home about 9am before being taken to the Spencer St police complex, where he was later charged.

It’s alleged the murder occurred on November 7, 1984, while the charges of rape and false imprisonment related to incidents the previous day.

The bail justice earlier explained the process of the hearing, telling Mr Davies he was to address him as sir or your honour to which Mr Davies replied: “Yes, sir.”

He replied the same on being remanded to face Melbourne Magistrates’ Court ­tomorrow.

Ms Maybury last night told the Herald Sun she did not know Mr Davies.

“His name means nothing to me,” she said.

“But it is such a relief that somebody has been charged at long last.

“I would like to thank the homicide squad detectives for being so diligent for so long.

“I never gave up and neither did they.”

keith.moor@news.com.au

Original URL: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/true-crime-scene/kylie-maybury-murder-mother-julie-says-she-never-gave-up-hope-of-justice/news-story/d52be1a3c275160b05d5626f5a3a06a4