Bendigo Marketplace employees scared to go to work amid spike in violent youth crime
Employees are afraid to go to work and shoppers fear for their safety at Bendigo’s biggest shopping centre following a massive increase in violent incidents.
Bendigo
Don't miss out on the headlines from Bendigo. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Employees are afraid to go to work and shoppers fear for their safety at Bendigo’s biggest shopping centre following a massive increase in violent incidents.
Fed up employees said they have witnessed young thugs commit multiple violent attacks, anti-social behaviour, brazen thefts and shoplifting at the Bendigo Marketplace — often returning multiple times because there were “no consequences”.
Rebecca Westhead, a dispensary technician at Priceline, has worked at the Marketplace for the last 16 years.
She felt safe at work until a year ago, she said, when she began seeing youth crime spiralling “out of control”.
“It’s scary. Speaking to other people that work in the shops, they’re scared to come to work – I’m scared to come to work – even though the security has been beefed up a little bit, I’m still a little bit anxious,” she said.
In one incident, she watched thugs attack a grandmother and a young girl.
In another, she saw an older man being bashed in the head with a scooter.
Most recently, shoppers were “running away and screaming” as a group of nine attacked a security guard who asked them to leave.
Three teenagers have been charged with allegedly being involved in the assault.
On March 5, 17-year-old was refused bail over his alleged involvement in the attack, as well as two others, after Magistrate Trieu Huynh found there was a “real risk” to releasing the teenager with “no supports”.
Acknowledging the public interest in the rise in alleged youth crime — recorded offences at Bendigo shopping centres have increased by 224 per cent over the past decade — Mr Huynh released blurred footage of the Marketplace incident to the media.
Two weeks later, on March 21, the same teen was bailed despite Mr Huynh saying the boy’s behaviour was “atrocious” and he had caused “a lot of harm, both physical and emotional and psychological” by allegedly committing three serious assaults in a single week.
Speaking generally, worker Sharmane Maddigan said she, and many other staff members at the Marketplace, had been left with a sense of “unease”.
“What do we do if it happens again?” the Little Loves Baby Boutique employee asked.
“Security can’t do anything, they’re not really allowed to.”
Another employee at a nearby cafe said the young female workers were “scared for our safety” when leaving the store alone to run errands.
“It’s scary for the girls who are here by themselves after school hours … it’s risky,” they said.
Ms Westhead said she saw the same problem teens come into the Marketplace about 3.30pm every day — the same time school finishes.
“The just run amok, they make a mockery,” she said.
Employees at yet another store said young thugs just kept coming back because there were “no consequences”.
They said violence and stealing “happens all the time” but worried ramped up security would just send the youth criminals to other parts of the CBD without addressing the real issue of youth crime across the city.
Bendigo police say they’re working hard to curb the issue, bringing back Operation Landslide which saw an increase in police presence in the CBD to target thieves and anti-social behaviour.
“Expect to see police patrolling busy areas including local business, major shopping centres and public transport hubs,” police said in a statement.
“Ideally the increased police presence will improve community safety and deter unwanted behaviours around the CBD so members of the public can feel safe to enjoy all the activities and amenities the CBD has to offer.”
Premier and Member for Jacinta Allan Member for Bendigo East, who had been shopping at the Marketplace 48 hours earlier described the alleged attack as “sickening” and “horrifying”.
Ms Allan said as part of the government’s machete ban police search powers would be expanded in an effort to curb violent crime plaguing the state.
Ms Allan said she would continue to shop around Bendigo and support local retailers.
A spokesman for Bendigo Marketplace management said more security guards had been hired in the wake of the alleged gang bashing earlier in March.
“We are currently working through additional ways to ensure public safety across the centre, while supporting retailers with up-to-date security procedures and information,” the spokesman said.