NewsBite

Teen girl walked from court just hours before alleged shooting

A teenage girl charged with attempted murder is alleged to have been involved in a northside shooting just hours after she appeared in court for another matter, a court has heard.

The shooting occurred in the car park of the North Lakes Hotel.
The shooting occurred in the car park of the North Lakes Hotel.

A teenage girl charged with attempted murder is alleged to have been involved in a northside shooting just hours after she appeared in court for another matter.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, was charged after police allegedly found her with the gun used in the incident, Brisbane Children’s Court heard at a bail application this afternoon.

Emergency services had been called to the carpark of North Lakes Hotel about 9.40pm on Monday, March 24, following reports that a man had been shot in the arm and injured in the chest.

A 42-year-old man was taken to Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital in a serious but stable condition, and the girl was later arrested at Riverview.

During the girl’s bail application on Tuesday, defence lawyer Vanessa Ryan said there was no evidence that her client had discharged the weapon.

She noted that two men suspected of being involved in the incident remained unidentified at this time.

Ms Ryan submitted that the case against the girl was circumstantial and would not amount to a charge of attempted murder.

The court heard the evidence, which the prosecution submitted was “strong”, included allegations the girl was identified in the area at the time and that she had also been wearing the same clothing when “picked up” as what was captured in CCTV.

Ms Ryan said at most the girl might be convicted on the basis she was a party to the offending.

Magistrate Megan Power noted the girl had appeared in court earlier on the same day as the shooting for a stealing charge, for which she had been allowed to go at large without signing bail.

The girl was also on probation at the time for stealing items of clothing from Myer, the court was told.

Ms Power expressed concerns that the girl had only turned up “half the time” to her probation reporting.

Ms Ryan said the girl had never been on strict bail conditions like the ones she was submitting for, which included a potential electronic monitoring device.

She said the girl had experienced issues with transiency and drug use in the past but now had an appropriate address available to her, where she would be able to pursue various job prospects.

Ms Power indicated she was not leaning towards granting the girl bail, in the absence of a tailored conditional bail program to provide the court information about what the girl would be doing day-to-day.

She allowed Ms Ryan to withdraw the girl’s bail application to a later date to allow time for a tailored bail program to be organised.

The girl was remanded in custody and her case was listed for mention on Wednesday, April 2, at Caboolture.

She is charged with attempted murder, possessing dangerous drugs, unlawful possession for weapons, and authority required to possess explosives.

Original URL: https://www.couriermail.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/police-courts-qld/teen-girl-walked-from-court-just-hours-before-alleged-shooting/news-story/8367c03b8fa288bb170a297159b833a5