LIVing in limbo: North Adelaide golf course development plans need to be tabled, and soon
Plans to relocate Adelaide’s premier sporting event to North Adelaide must unfold in the “coming weeks,” warns an Adelaide councillor.
SA News
Don't miss out on the headlines from SA News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Plans to redevelop the North Adelaide Golf Course will need to unfold in the “coming weeks” if LIV Golf is expected to tee off in town by 2028, an Adelaide councillor has warned.
The news comes just days after a survey showed LIV Golf’s popularity had slumped among Grange Golf Club members who were stuck dealing with leftover rubbish and course damage in the event’s wake.
Premier Peter Malinauskas announced in February that LIV Golf would move from Grange Golf Club — the host since 2023 — to a world-class course, developed by Australia’s greatest golfer Greg Norman, on the site of the current North Adelaide course.
The move from the western suburbs to the parklands was planned for 2028, but could happen as early as 2027.
Adelaide City Councillor Phillip Martin, who opposed a recently revealed secret redevelopment plan of the North Adelaide golf course from 2018, said at a public meeting on Saturday the North Adelaide community should make their voices heard as “the plans unfold in the coming weeks”.
“If the state government plans to have North Adelaide ready for LIV Golf in 2027 or 2028, steps will have to be taken in the next few weeks,” Mr Martin told The Advertiser.
Speaking at the meeting, Mr Martin said Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith told him prior to the Premier’s February announcement that Mr Malinauskas had declined to speak with the council about the event’s move to North Adelaide.
A confidential briefing between the council and Mr Malinauskas was held on February 24, but since then, Mr Martin told the meeting there had been no other communication from the state government.
“We have not seen a plan, we have not seen a lease, discussions have not progressed,” he said.
“We are in limbo.”
Once draft designs were available “there will be extensive consultation with all relevant stakeholders”, Mr Malinauskas said in a written statement presented to the meeting.
More Coverage
Originally published as LIVing in limbo: North Adelaide golf course development plans need to be tabled, and soon