Joel Philip Edyvean refused bail after alleged assault at Mooloolaba
Police claim a man who failed to pay his ‘tick’ for drugs has allegedly breached bail after a horror assault when he was rejected by a woman.
Police & Courts
Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.
A man who police claim is in a drug debt has been taken into custody after being accused of breaching his bail for an allegedly violent assault outside a Mooloolaba gelato shop.
Police allege Joel Philip Edyvean was involved in “alcohol-fuelled violence” on November 5 last year where they claim he and his co-accused attacked another person, which caused a skull fracture.
During his bail application in Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Tuesday, police prosecutor Bec Lambert alleged the pair attacked their victim because he told the men a woman “wasn’t going to go home with them”.
Sergeant Lambert alleged the victim was “dragged” to the ground, which led to a flurry of punches being levelled by the pair at the victim’s head until witnesses intervened.
The court heard the alleged victim was rushed to Sunshine Coast University Hospital where he had scans for a skull fracture. He was also treated for bruising to his face.
Edyvean was granted bail on assault however was taken into custody on Monday after he handed himself into police when an arrest warrant was issued.
He now faces more than two dozen charges including 21 counts of breaching bail, four counts of driving disqualified, two of failing to appear and one of assault in company.
Sergeant Lambert said police downloaded the contents of Edyvean’s phone which allegedly showed him contacting his co-accused a dozen times. Police further allege he breached conditions of his bail to reside at an address along with breaking curfew conditions.
She claimed the Coolum Beach man had no fixed address and was essentially couch surfing while “on an extended bender”, with police intelligence revealing he was in significant “drug debt”.
The police prosecutor said due to Edyvean being in arrears on his “tick payment”, she was concerned he would place himself at risk due to being unable to pay it off.
Edyvean, who represented himself from the watch-house while on video, said he objected “to a lot” of the police submissions and indicated he would be pleading not guilty to the assault.
He claimed he didn’t like fighting and believed video footage from the alleged incident would clear him as he alleged the victim attacked them first.
“It was one for one … it’s just a shame that I was the person who actually got to put him down, it was either him or me,” he said.
The 29-year-old also attributed his alleged bail breaches and failing to appear in court charges to poor mental health. He said he would abide by any bail conditions.
Magistrate Haydn Stjernqvist however wasn’t swayed by Edyvean’s submissions and believed his criminal history and alleged bail breaches meant he could not grant him conditional release from custody.
He was remanded in custody. His matters will return to court on April 28.