NewsBite

EXCLUSIVE

Peter Malinauskas and Greg Norman’s secret meeting to discuss North Adelaide Golf Course redevelopment

Australia’s star golfer Greg Norman and Premier Peter Malinauskas met on the greens of the North Adelaide Golf Course on Saturday. Here’s what was discussed.

LIV Golf is to stay in SA

Just hours after getting off a plane from India, Premier Peter Malinauskas met with Australia’s top golfer Greg Norman for a secret meeting up at the North Adelaide Golf Course.

The “preliminary” catch up on Saturday took place to discuss the ongoing redesign process of the course after the Premier previously announced LIV Golf would relocate from Grange to North Adelaide by 2028.

The redeveloped course, designed by Greg ‘the Shark’ Norman, could be open and ready for South Australia’s crowning jewel event by 2027 at the earliest.

Mr Malinauskas announced in February that LIV Golf would move from Grange Golf Club — the host since 2023 — to a world-class course, developed by Mr Norman, on the site of the current North Adelaide course.

Australian former golfer Greg Norman, South Australia's Premier Peter Malinauskas, and LIV Golf CEO Scott O'Neil. Picture: Brenton Edwards / AFP
Australian former golfer Greg Norman, South Australia's Premier Peter Malinauskas, and LIV Golf CEO Scott O'Neil. Picture: Brenton Edwards / AFP

“Upon his return from India, the Premier met with Greg Norman and members of his team (on Saturday), to discuss preliminary design work for the redevelopment of the North Adelaide Golf Course,” a state government spokesman said.

“That process is continuing, and the state government looks forward to releasing further details once designs are complete.”

As the Premier and Mr Norman strolled the greens, a public meeting was being held just 1km away highlighting community concerns about the lack of information surrounding the redevelopment.

At the meeting, Adelaide City Council councillor Phillip Martin, who opposed a recently revealed secret redevelopment plan of the North Adelaide golf course from 2018, said “steps will have to be taken in the next few weeks” if the state government was to have the course ready to tee off in 2028.

“If the state government plans to have North Adelaide ready for LIV Golf in 2027 or 2028, steps will have to be taken in the next few weeks,” Mr Martin told The Advertiser.

Speaking at the meeting on Saturday, Mr Martin said Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith told him prior to the Premier’s February announcement that Mr Malinauskas had declined to speak with the council about the event’s move to North Adelaide.

A confidential briefing between the council and Mr Malinauskas was then held on February 24 after the announcement.

Read related topics:Peter Malinauskas

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/peter-malinauskas-and-greg-normans-secret-meeting-to-discuss-north-adelaide-golf-course-redevelopment/news-story/80ff05e8173b40959bf326cda282c601