By Jake Niall, Scott Spits and Andrew Wu
Mansell’s tribunal challenge thrown out
Scott Spits
Richmond’s Rhyan Mansell has copped a three-match ban for rough conduct after the AFL tribunal threw out his challenge over a case where the Tiger was cited for pushing his opponent into a marking contest.
Liam O’Connell was subbed out of St Kilda’s game against Richmond at Marvel Stadium.Credit: AFL Photos
St Kilda’s Liam O’Connell was charging back to contest a mark during Saturday’s match at Marvel Stadium when he lost his balance as a result of the push, collided with Tigers forward Tom Lynch and was concussed.
Mansell and O’Connell had been grappling in their own marking contest before the Tiger broke free and pushed the Saint in the direction of another contest.
The tribunal found that Mansell breached his duty of care.
“The force of the push is a significant factor here,” said tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson KC. “It went well beyond what a reasonable player could consider prudent in the circumstances.
“Mansell breached his duty of care by pushing O’Connell with such force, with the path of the ball directly in the direction of oncoming players.
“Mansell’s eyes were not on the ball. He was not attempting to mark the ball, and he did not push O’Connell to [then] immediately gather the ball.”
The incident involving O’Connell and Rhyan Mansell.Credit: Fox Footy
After nearly 90 minutes of evidence and then more than 30 minutes of deliberations, the tribunal threw out Richmond’s defence.
Under extensive questioning and cross-examination, Mansell maintained that he had been looking to gain “separation” from his opponent and did not expect to push the Saint into the path of upcoming players.
Quizzed by Richmond’s representative Sam Tovey if he thought his actions would result in O’Connell being injured, Mansell said: “No, definitely not.”
He maintained there was no scenario where he could have avoided pushing his opponent.
“Like I said, I was trying to gain separation,” Mansell said.
He was adamant he was not aware of how close Lynch and St Kilda’s Anthony Caminiti were to him.
“It’s when we gain separation that I first see them,” Mansell said.
He also rejected the AFL’s contention that his action constituted a “forceful push”.
“I don’t think so,” he said.
Several players escaped penalty from the match review officer for comparable incidents in the pre-season and early rounds.
Richmond youngster Sam Lalor’s jaw was broken when West Coast’s Reuben Ginbey pushed him into his teammate, who was flying for a mark in the pre-season in mid-February. Ginbey was not cited, but the AFL reminded players and clubs in a memo sent in early March that players risked a report and a subsequent suspension if they pushed opponents in the back in marking contests and their opponent got injured.
Young Blue to return through the VFL, club waits on McKay
Jake Niall
Carlton utility Elijah Hollands is expected to return from his personal issues to play his first official game in the VFL this weekend, as the club awaits confirmation that star forward Harry McKay will be ready for Thursday’s crucial clash with Collingwood.
Hollands has finished his period away from the Blues for personal matters, but will not be considered for the seniors due to both selection integrity and the likelihood that he would need to gain fitness before he could play in the AFL, according to club sources, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Elijah Hollands celebrates a goal during the 2024 season.Credit: Getty
The Blues are hopeful of regaining McKay – also absent for personal reasons – after the key forward played in an internal VFL practice match last Saturday, but his selection in the seniors was yet to be confirmed on Tuesday afternoon.
Hollands took personal leave, stepping away from training and playing on the eve of the season to deal with personal issues that made it difficult for him to deal with the demands of the game. He required some welfare support.
McKay’s potential selection would mean the Blues would have to drop a tall player, and they will likely persist with Brodie Kemp in attack if McKay plays. They have been keen to see Charlie Curnow and McKay supported by Kemp, who booted five goals in the narrow loss to the Western Bulldogs last Friday night.
Harry McKay is no certainty to face the Magpies.Credit: Getty Images
The Blues would have to drop either defender Nick Haynes, Lewis Young (who played forward and kicked two goals against the Bulldogs) or even Mitch McGovern to make room for McKay, given that Jack Silvagni has been in excellent form and was among the best Blues playing in defence on Aaron Naughton, restricting the key forward to one goal and few disposals.
Hollands joined his younger brother Ollie at Carlton at the end of the 2023 season after the Gold Coast traded him for a third-round draft pick. Hollands was charged with possession of cocaine shortly after he was traded from the Suns and received a two-match AFL ban for “conduct unbecoming”. He had been found in possession of cocaine at the Star Casino on the Gold Coast that September after finishing his season.
Carlton said then they had known of his charge before making the trade for Hollands, who did not record a conviction and was placed on a two-month good behaviour bond and ordered to complete a drug diversion course.
Hollands, who can play forward and in the midfield, played 22 games in his first season with the Blues. The unavailability of McKay and Hollands has stretched Carlton’s questionable depth over the past two games, as Curnow and midfield gun Sam Walsh have been unable to perform at their peaks following injuries in pre-season that impacted on their early fitness.
Injury heartbreak for Bombers recruit
Scott Spits and Andrew Wu
In-form Essendon midfielder Jye Caldwell has a suspected hamstring injury, compounding a difficult day for the Bombers, who have lost mature-aged recruit Tom Edwards for the season to an ACL injury sustained at training on Tuesday.
Tom Edwards (right) and Sam Durham both took unconventional routes on to Essendon’s list.Credit: AFL Photos
Caldwell has been sent for scans to determine the extent of the damage, in a blow to the Dons, who had been riding high after a shock victory over Port Adelaide last round.
A first-round pick (No.11) by the Giants in the 2018 draft, Caldwell became an important member of the Bombers’ midfield last year and had made a strong start to this campaign.
Edwards made headlines for heading straight into the AFL from his job as a high school teacher, and WAFL footballer, in Perth.
The 24-year-old, 191-centimetre forward was taken by the Bombers in the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) this year after he booted four goals against the Western Bulldogs in wintry conditions at Whitten Oval.
Edwards went on to make his debut against Adelaide, slotting another three majors. His and the early season debuts of Isaac Kako and Saad El-Hawli have given Bombers fans plenty to smile about as their side continues to rebuild.
Essendon confirmed Edwards injured his knee in a training mishap, and later confirmed the worst.
The Bombers’ general manager of football Daniel McPherson said the news was “devastating”.
“We’re all for feeling Tom. He’s worked so hard to get his opportunity at AFL level, and so for this to happen so early in his AFL career is devastating for him,” McPherson said.
“Tom will consult with a surgeon tomorrow morning and finalise the course of action from there. The players, coaches and staff will continue to support him during this time.”
The Edwards news is the latest bitter blow on the injury front for an Essendon side already missing the likes of Darcy Parish (back), Elijah Tsatas (hand), Archie Perkins (quad), Peter Wright (ankle) and Kyle Langford (hamstring).
The club estimated Wright could be back in two to three weeks and Langford three weeks, with Nik Cox (concussion) also two to three weeks away from returning, and Matt Guelfi (hamstring) still another five to six.
The Bombers have the bye this weekend before they confront the currently winless Melbourne in a vital clash for both teams at the MCG on Saturday week.
Richmond key-position star Noah Balta.Credit: AFL Photos
‘Comfortable with where Richmond landed on that one’: Dillon on Balta
AAP
The AFL will allow Richmond’s Noah Balta to return to playing before being sentenced for assaulting a man outside a NSW Riverina club.
Balta has pleaded guilty to assault and will be sentenced on April 22 for his attack on 27-year-old Thomas Washbrook outside the Mulwala Water Ski Club.
Balta was suspended for six matches by his club – two of them in the pre-season – in a sanction ratified by the AFL after the incident on December 30 last year.
The suspension expires this weekend, with Balta eligible to return in Richmond’s round-five game against Fremantle on April 13.
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon said the league was “comfortable” in allowing Balta to play before being sentenced in court.
“By the time Noah is eligible to play again he would have served a four-week AFL suspension as well as missing a couple of weeks of practice matches,” Dillon told reporters in Adelaide on Tuesday,
“Ultimately, it will be a decision from Richmond, whether they select him straight into the AFL or into the VFL side.”
Dillon said the AFL wouldn’t step in again before Balta’s sentencing.
“We have worked with Richmond and we’re comfortable with the suspension and the suspension that Noah has served ... we’re comfortable with where Richmond landed on that one,” Dillon said.
Richmond coach Adem Yze signalled after last Saturday’s game that Balta would be an automatic selection when available.
“Oh, no doubt. We’ve handed down that suspension, we feel like that’s the right amount of time, six games is a fair whack,” Yze said.
Balta, 25, pleaded guilty in the Corowa Local Court to assault occasioning actual bodily harm, which in NSW carries a maximum penalty of five years in jail.
Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.