Carlo Tizzano’s Wallabies future at risk following huge Japanese offer
Super Rugby’s leading try-scorer and leading tackler must now weigh up taking the big money overseas or accepting less to play for Australia in the home World Cup in 2027.
Rugby
Don't miss out on the headlines from Rugby. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Carlo Tizzano has been offered a huge deal by a Japanese club in the latest attempted poaching of a Wallaby.
The star Western Force backrower, who is Super Rugby’s leading try-scorer and leading tackler after eight rounds, must now weigh up taking the big money overseas or accepting less to play for Australia in the home World Cup in 2027.
Rugby Australia recently re-signed Fraser McReight to a major deal until the end of the World Cup.
McReight is Australia’s premier No.7, but Tizzano has established himself as the most capable back-up after debuting for the Wallabies last year, and continuing his excellent form in the first two months of Super Rugby.
The 25-year-old Tizzano is certainly not a player Australian rugby would be happy to lose, but Rugby Confidential understands the Japanese deal he’s been offered is life-changing money.
There will now be delicate negotiations as RA tries to also lock away deals with Len Ikitau, Tom Wright, Jake Gordon, Taniela Tupou and other off-contract stars as the Wallabies build for their 2027 campaign.
But RA did receive welcome news when Brumbies hooker Lachlan Lonergan re-signed for two years until the end of the World Cup.
The 25-year-old, with eight Test caps and 52 games for ACT, adds depth to the key position, with Wallaby hooker Matt Faessler also recently signing a deal through to the of the World Cup.
“I’m stoked to be remaining in Canberra for two more years, a place where I grew up and love representing as a Brumby,” Lonergan said.
“I’m really motivated to continue to work hard on the field and earn more opportunities to represent my club, and hopefully my country, with some major milestones on the horizon in Australian rugby.”
RA’s director of high performance, Peter Horne said: “Lachlan’s a strong example of the Australian and Canberra pathways and his re-signing is a positive for supporters of Australian rugby.
“It’s been pleasing to see him getting consistent game time after recovering from a significant injury last year and we look forward to seeing him continue to build throughout the Super Rugby Pacific season.”
SUAALII’S SHOCK ROOSTERS REVEAL
JOSEPH-AUKUSO Suaalii approached Waratahs coach Dan McKellar at training this week, telling him he’d be rejoining the Sydney Roosters in 2026.
“I’m not sure how I was going to tell you, but I’ve been speaking to the Roosters, I think I’m going back there next year,” Suaalii said.
A stunned McKellar replied: “Are you serious?”
It took another few seconds for McKellar to realise it was an April Fools wind-up, and the entire squad erupted in laughter.
Check it out here.
BENCHED TUPOU BACKED
DAN McKellar maintains that Taniela Tupou is one of the best props in the world despite dropping him to the bench this week.
Rookie Dan Botha starts against Moana Pasifika on Saturday, with Tupou expected to be given 30 minutes off the bench in North Harbour, which has not helped his hopes of starting against the British & Irish Lions in July.
“Taniela is an incredible player, and we want him to make a major impact off the bench in the final stages,” McKellar said.
“We know what Taniela can do - he’s one of the best tightheads in the game.
“But we want to get more out of him, and this week, we’re looking for him to make a real difference in that last 30 minutes when the game is on the line.
“He understands that, and he’s on board with what we need from him.
“There’s no question about Taniela’s quality. Sometimes it’s about managing workloads and ensuring we maximise what he brings.
“He’s a competitor. I know he’ll have a big impact for us when he comes on.”
GRAND OLD STAND
AH the memories.
When the British & Irish Lions played their first game in Australia in 1888, at the Sydney Cricket Ground, the member’s stand was only two years old.
This week, Lions boss Ben Calveley found a far more modern stand when he visited the city and was welcomed at the ground by RA boss Phil Waugh.
MORE STARS SET FOR SEVENS
Expect to see many more Wallabies stars lining up for the Australian sevens team at coming Olympic games.
The gold medal-winning effort of French superstar Antoine Dupont has convinced Rugby Australia chief Phil Waugh to open up the sevens selection policy leading into the 2028 LA Games and the 2032 Brisbane Games.
“We saw what Dupont did to France, and we obviously released players being Corey Toole and Mark Nawaqanitawase, and Darby Lancaster was available as well,” Waugh said.
“And so I think when there’s big events, you’ve got to really lean into and put your best athletes into those environments so that you can maximise your opportunity to expose the game.
“The impact that Dupont had on not just the rugby event at the Olympics but the overall Olympics as a whole, we think about, you go through LA 28, but if you have a longer view on 32 in Brisbane, there’s a real opportunity to put our best players in it.
“You win gold at a home Olympics - you don’t know the scheduling yet, but if it’s similar scheduling to what it was in Paris, where it was the first event played before the opening ceremony - then there’s a lot to like about that.
“So yes, we’d like to see the best high profile players in those big tournaments.”
More Coverage
Originally published as Carlo Tizzano’s Wallabies future at risk following huge Japanese offer