NewsBite

Jaxon Binns determined to earn second AFL opportunity after shock Carlton delisting

Sacked by Carlton with a year left on his contract, Jaxon Binns has moved on quickly. But not before clearing the air over speculation he fell out with coach Michael Voss.

Jaxon Binns is mobbed after kicking his first AFL goal.
Jaxon Binns is mobbed after kicking his first AFL goal.

Jaxon Binns’ manager, Robbie D’Orazio, warned the young Carlton wingman to brace for bad news.

It was duly delivered in a meeting with Blues CEO Graham Wright and head of list management Nick Austin at IKON Park last month.

They told the hard-running Binns the club would be delisting him, despite his contract extending into 2026.

Binns had played eight games for Carlton and thought he was in a good position to play quite a few more next year.

He had a deal in place. He had confidence in his ability to improve as an AFL player. But he did not have the coaching staff on his side.

It made for a brutal end at the Blues for Binns, who had a party last Saturday night for his 21st birthday.

Jaxon Binns is training at Essendon. Picture: Michael Klein
Jaxon Binns is training at Essendon. Picture: Michael Klein
Jaxon Binns celebrates a goal for the Blues.
Jaxon Binns celebrates a goal for the Blues.

On Monday, as an Essendon VFL signing, he kicked off training with the Bombers’ AFL squad and won the 2km time trial. Even after hearty celebrations two days earlier, he clearly was not running on empty.

“It’s a fairly good deal in terms of being able to do a fair portion with the AFL group, because my main priority is to get back on an AFL list,’’ Binns said of his VFL recruitment.

“I feel like I’m getting a foot halfway in the door.

“I’m pretty hungry to get back in there. The way the Essendon boys welcomed me on Monday was good. It looks like they’re prepared to work hard and are excited about what they can build. If I can somehow sneak my way in I’d love to be part of it.’’

His exit from Carlton, he said, “got sprung on me … it happened pretty quickly’’.

“It’s a bit disappointing to a degree. I feel like if you’ve earned that contract you’re going to be able to fulfil it,’’ he said.

“And that’s nothing against them (Blues). They made the decision at the end of the day. I’m a big believer that everything happens for a reason. So this in hindsight could become a good thing for me. It’s obviously really disappointing because I was only 20 years old when it happened and I feel like I had a fair bit of development to go. I was only in my third year. To be cut short with a year to go was obviously really disappointing but the way I’ve seen it is, shit happens and it all happens for a reason. So hopefully at the end of the day it all comes around and works well for me.’’

In what turned out to be his final AFL appearance for the Blues, against North Melbourne in Round 16, Binns appeared to be on the end of a burst from coach Michael Voss.

But he said he thought his relationship with Voss was “pretty strong’’.

“I was always seeking feedback and looking for ways to get better,’’ he said.

“Nothing against him. I haven’t got any bad blood with him. But obviously he didn’t see my game adding up to help the side as much as I might have thought. At the end of the day that’s his decision. Like I said, there’s no bad blood there and the relationship was strong enough. It’s just disappointing I couldn’t continue that relationship.’’

Recruited from the Dandenong Stingrays in the 2022 national draft, Binns spent the entire 2023 season in the VFL, winning Carlton’s best and fairest and gaining selection in the team of the year.

He broke through for an AFL debut the following year, in Round 8 against Geelong before a crowd of 88,000 at the MCG.

Whatever else he does in football, the experience will never leave him.

“To have so have so many fans there screaming … you can’t hear much,’’ he said.

“Put that with it being your first game and not knowing what to expect, it was pretty daunting. But the adrenaline you get from that, you can’t explain how good it is. It just makes you so much hungrier for more.’’

He played two more games in 2024 and five this year, having 22 disposals against St Kilda and 26 against West Coast.

When he wasn’t playing in the AFL, he was consistently in the best in the VFL.

This year he averaged 21.1 disposals from his 12 matches. One official attached to the VFL program said his work ethic and attitude were exceptional.

Binns said he “kept tuning up’’ and was consistent for the VFL Blues. But opportunities were scarce.

“I had limited opportunity but I still thought in that time I was able to showcase some glimpses and I feel like I’ve still got plenty to give,’’ he said.

“I feel like the way the game’s going, in terms of more of the outside run and more of the fast-paced footy, with my strength being my run and carry, I feel like that could really complement an AFL side.

“I feel like if it did pop up, I would have a fair bit to give, just because my strengths fit in with the way the game’s going.’’

Originally published as Jaxon Binns determined to earn second AFL opportunity after shock Carlton delisting

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/jaxon-binns-determined-to-earn-second-afl-opportunity-after-shock-carlton-delisting/news-story/698e7bdfc0387970c8f2d2b3e4a58b2b