NewsBite

Hobart man wins $5000 through Huon Valley business Port Cygnet Cannery’s vaccination giveaway

A southern Tasmanian man has scored $5000, and all he needed to do was go out for dinner. HOW YOU CAN WIN >>>

More restrictions eased in New South Wales from Monday

WHEN South Hobart’s Oliver Whone recently visited a Huon Valley restaurant for dinner with wife Genevieve last month, he was not expecting to become $5000 richer for it.

But that’s exactly what happened on Friday morning when the owners of the Port Cygnet Cannery called to give him the good news.

The 37-year-old’s unexpected windfall was part of a promotion run by the restaurant which is giving away a total $20,000 to diners vaccinated against Covid-19 between now and January.

Mr Whone admitted he did not know about the giveaway until he got the surprise call.

“All we thought we were getting out of the night was a nice dinner, and getting a prize is just something that doesn’t happen every day,’’ he said.

Oliver Whone of Hobart with his vaccination certificate. Picture: Chris Kidd
Oliver Whone of Hobart with his vaccination certificate. Picture: Chris Kidd

Mr Whone, who became fully vaccinated against the virus in August, said the bonus cash would likely go towards planned house renovations.

“I started calling as soon as it was looking like I was going to be eligible,’’ he said.

“My wife works in the health care system so she was one of the first to be vaccinated in March, and I was really quite keen to get myself vaccinated too.”

Port Cygnet Cannery business manager Ian Hall said he was thrilled to be able to reward a vaccinated customer.

“We’re really happy that it’s gone to a local and really happy that it’s gone to somebody who supports vaccination,’’ he said.

“He was really quite shocked with the news because he wasn’t aware that we’d done this program.”

Chef Massimo Mele and Salvatore Albinelli Port Cygnet Cannery draw the winner of the first $5000 cash prize for vaccinated diners. Picture : Mireille Merlet
Chef Massimo Mele and Salvatore Albinelli Port Cygnet Cannery draw the winner of the first $5000 cash prize for vaccinated diners. Picture : Mireille Merlet

Mr Hall said the initiative had been well received among customers, with very little negative feedback.

“Of course at the Cannery, we put ourselves out there as being leaders, we want to show leadership and we want everybody vaccinated,’’ he said.

Internationally celebrated Tasmanian chef Massimo Mele, who drew the lucky winner of the $5000 cash, praised the business for offering the incentive.

“It’s fantastic. They put their money where their mouth is and stood behind everybody getting vaccinated and being safe,’’ he said.

“I love the Cannery, I like going there and I like going to restaurants and we can only do that if we are safe and vaccinated.

“Days like today [on Friday when three-day lockdown was announced], it shows how important it is.”

cameron.whiteley@news.com.au

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/hobart-man-wins-5000-through-huon-valley-business-port-cygnet-cannerys-vaccination-giveaway/news-story/babebe0440c835118803011e89522b34