NewsBite

‘Scared and uncertain’ Top End mothers concerns put to Health Minister

On responding to maternity concerns raised in parliament, Steve Edgington hinted new ownership of the private hospital could provide some hope. Read the details.

Health Minister Steve Edgington addressed maternity concerns in parliament this week. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin
Health Minister Steve Edgington addressed maternity concerns in parliament this week. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin

The state of the Northern Territory’s maternity services and the concerns of “scared and uncertain” families was voiced in parliament this week.

The issue was raised by Member for Daly and Deputy Opposition Leader, Dheran Young, as a matter of public importance on Thursday during parliament.

“Putting it frankly, expectant Territory mothers are scared and uncertain about the future of maternity services in the Northern Territory,” he said.

In his statement, he mentioned the closure of the private maternity services which has resulted in some families flying interstate to have their babies and the “horror stories” coming from families and health staff which include tales of labouring in waiting rooms.

Deputy Leader of the Opposition Dheran Young in the Northern Territory parliament on March 27, 2025. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin
Deputy Leader of the Opposition Dheran Young in the Northern Territory parliament on March 27, 2025. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin

Mr Young criticised the Health Minister’s alleged inaction since learning of the closure and detailed the points raised in a public forum held in Darwin earlier this month.

A further forum called Our Birth, Our Voice is being held on November 1 at 12pm at Darwin restaurant Darlings Pasta and is open to the public, leaders and media.

“I ask the Minister for Health to respond to these sensitive solutions,” he said.

“What is he doing about it, particularly ensuring women and their babies have continuity of care?

“Expectant Territory mothers know that this issue is not going away, and I hope the minister will take the appropriate amount of time tonight to explain and provide an adequate response, because this is about Territory mothers.”

Before finishing, Mr Young also raised the issue of federal funding, comparing Darwin’s closure of private services to Tasmania’s where federal funding was sought and granted to help expand services.

Hopes for private maternity services to be restored with new private hospital provider

In response, Mr Edgington was quick to jump on the comparison to Tasmania, stating the situations were very different.

Calling out Mr Young for comparing “apples with oranges”, the Health Minister cautioned him against “making up stories”.

“Unlike other states, we simply do not have an alternative private health service in Darwin available for the federal government to fund.

Health Minister Steve Edgington said Darwin’s maternity situation is unique. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin
Health Minister Steve Edgington said Darwin’s maternity situation is unique. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin

“Our circumstances are not the same as Hobart or on the Central Coast of New South Wales where a ready alternative is available.”

Mr Edgington addressed several key points including the closure of the private maternity services and the NT’s current level of Commonwealth funding.

On the closure of the private maternity ward, Mr Edgington said Healthscope’s decision was “disappointing and immensely frustrating” for Territorians and for him personally as Health Minister.

But, he added, feedback from families who had used the new public-private model had been positive.

It is hoped new ownership of Darwin Private Hospital will help restore private maternity services. Picture: DPH
It is hoped new ownership of Darwin Private Hospital will help restore private maternity services. Picture: DPH

“To that end, the CLP government believes it is vital that as part of the resolution of the Healthscope’s sale process, privately run and managed maternity services to meet the needs of Territorians with private health insurance must be restored at the Darwin Private Hospital under whatever new ownership is established.”

Health Minister: ‘The NT faces a $386m funding shortfall’

However, the Health Minister said it was impossible to discuss the NT’s health services without “calling out” the level of Commonwealth funding.

He said the NT had historically been “underfunded for years” but that currently, the Territory received the lowest level of funding from the Commonwealth at 31.9 per cent.

It is not helped, Mr Edgington added, by the NT Government having to pay for necessary services and facilities the “Commonwealth is responsible for directly”.

Mr Edgington said this includes:

– Aeromedical emergencies costing the health system $51m per year

– Between 60 to 80 aged care patients being in the hospital system each week costing around $40m per year

– Remote healthcare clinics costing the Territory $95m

Minister Steve Edgington said the funding shortfall amounts to $386m in the Territory. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin
Minister Steve Edgington said the funding shortfall amounts to $386m in the Territory. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin

“The Commonwealth funding contribution shortfall combined with the funding the NT spends meeting Commonwealth healthcare responsibilities amounts to a total shortfall of Commonwealth health funding to the NT in the order of $386m per annum,” he said.

For maternity services, the NT Government applied for $35m for a maternity facility upgrade from the federal government which has been criticised by Luke Gosling, Federal Member for Solomon, for its lack of detail.

Mr Edgington slammed the comments as “uninformed and nonsense” and said the federal government has had the “fully costed detailed plan for some time”.

“We will continue to work with the relevant parties to look to restore these services, if it is at all possible,” he said.

“We want parents in the Northern Territory to have options available that meet the needs of those with private health insurance.”

Originally published as ‘Scared and uncertain’ Top End mothers concerns put to Health Minister

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.themercury.com.au/news/scared-and-uncertain-top-end-mothers-concerns-put-to-health-minister/news-story/55fc3823337bbeeda42d2832e5cc8957