Left faction challenges QTU leadership over stalled wage talks
Teachers’ union bosses face a socialist-backed insurgency demanding aggressive strike action after members overwhelmingly rejected the government’s pay offer.
Queensland Teachers’ Union leaders are being challenged by an internal Left faction bolstered by members’ frustration over stalled wage talks ahead of the union’s 2026 elections.
The Queensland Teachers Fightback group, which has links to Queensland Socialists, attempted to unseat president Cresta Richardson, vice president Leah Olsson and honorary vice-president Josh Cleary at the 2023 election.
Although unsuccessful, the faction described the result as a breakthrough, claiming it secured 44 per cent of the vote across the presidential contests and had “begun a movement” inside a union long dominated by the Labor Old Guard.
A legal stoush erupted shortly after the ballot when Madonna Johanson applied to the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission to investigate the 2023 election, alleging internal policy changes and the conduct of incumbents during the postal vote period created irregularities.
This application was knocked back by the commission, and it was determined there was no evidence indicating the election results had been impacted.
On its website, Fightback boasts of securing 44.4 per cent of votes for honorary vice-president candidate Rebecca Barrigos, 38.7 per cent for presidential candidate Ollie Amerena and 38.3 per cent for vice-president contender Tim Arnot.
Tensions resurfaced in November when the QTU split over whether to escalate its strike campaign following months of stalled wage negotiations with the Crisafulli government.
Seventy per cent of QTU members have rejected the state’s offer of an 8 per cent wage rise over three years.
The QTU will head to arbitration on December 31 after the government refused to settle a deal outside conciliation.
Fightback argues the union should have been striking since August and claims the teacher shortage and rising workloads have worsened under both Labor and the LNP.
The group says it is committed to building a rank-and-file union movement prepared to take aggressive industrial action, arguing the QTU has been too cosy with the Labor government and unwilling to use strike tactics to secure better wages and conditions.
It is now pushing for better democracy within the union and a stronger strike strategy that includes school shutdowns to deliver a pay rise above inflation.
The QTU is not a Labor union and has no official affiliation with a political party.
Ms Richardson said the union’s 51,500 members had access to transparent, democratic and accountable processes.
“The 2023 election was referred to the relevant independent authorities with no investigation undertaken and the QTU found to have no case to answer,” she said.
“The QTU president and general secretary thanks each and every member for their courage, integrity and unity through the EB11 campaign so far.”
More Coverage
Originally published as Left faction challenges QTU leadership over stalled wage talks
