Chipman accepts apology from Libs
CLARENCE Mayor Doug Chipman welcomed an apology from the Liberal Party Tasmanian branch about ageist campaign tactics.
CLARENCE Mayor Doug Chipman welcomed an apology from the Liberal Party Tasmanian branch about the ageist campaign tactics that targeted him in the Legislative Council division of Pembroke last year.
The Liberal party apologised in a small public notice on page 64 of the Sunday Tasmanian for any hurt or offence caused from material used before the Pembroke by-election.
Mr Chipman said he welcomed the fact the apology had been issued, describing it as a genuine surprise.
MORE: LIBS SORRY FOR AGE GAFFE
“The apology is accepted in the spirit in which it is offered,” he said.
Mr Chipman said he had taken no action which would have required the apology.
“I am aware that there some members of the Sandy Bay branch who were really upset, so it’s an internal party thing which has resulted in this,” he said.
“The members of the party who have voiced their concerns, not only to the party but to me as well, felt genuinely insulted and I think the apology reflects that.”
Deputy Premier Jeremy Rockliff acknowledged the party had learned from the Pembroke campaign and had “needed to”.
“The party has apologised, that was appropriate and now we will move on,” he said yesterday.
The party’s campaign for the Hobart Legislative Council seat would focus on the Government’s record, he said.
Liberal candidate James Walker was unsuccessful in Pembroke and the seat was won by Labor’s Joanna Siejka.