NewsBite

‘Loved ones deserve answers’: $500,000 reward offered for NT unsolved cold cases

Police have made a renewed appeal for information on four long-term missing persons and cold cases including Norman James Lawson and Kwementyaye Nelson.

NT Police have announced that they are increasing the reward for multiple cold cases in the NT including Kwementyaye Nelson who was killed in 2014.
NT Police have announced that they are increasing the reward for multiple cold cases in the NT including Kwementyaye Nelson who was killed in 2014.

Half a million dollars is being offered to anyone who can help solve four cold cases in the Northern Territory.

NT Police announced on Wednesday the reward has been increased to $500,000 for information on the missing persons case for Norman James Lawson and for Kwementyaye Nelson’s unsolved death.

Norman James Lawson went missing 39 years ago in Kakadu when he was 16 years old.

He was last seen on either Tuesday, October 21 or Wednesday, October 22, 1986 and disappeared after camping with four acquaintances in Kakadu near the South Alligator Crossing of Old Jim Jim Road.

NT Police said they are increasing the reward for multiple missing person cases in the NT including Norman James Lawson.
NT Police said they are increasing the reward for multiple missing person cases in the NT including Norman James Lawson.

In the morning before he disappeared, Mr Lawson was seen near the river fishing before walking along the road in the direction of the Bark Hunt Inn.

His personal possessions were left behind at the campsite.

While formalised searches went ahead in the area, police could find no trace of Mr Lawson.

Officers were unable to establish any of his movements after his disappearance and investigations did not conclude or exclude the possibility of foul play.

The other case the police has increased the reward for is that of Kwementyaye Nelson, who was found dead on November 29 in 2014.

The night before, on November 28, Mr Nelson was dropped off by family members on the side of the Stuart Highway around 17km north of the Three Ways Roadhouse.

The next day when his family returned to the spot, they found his body next to the Stuart Highway 12km north of the roadhouse.

Police said he died from injuries consistent with being struck by a motor vehicle.

Acting Commander from the Crime and Intelligence Command, Drew Slape, said in a statement on Wednesday both cases were investigated “extensively” and all current lines of inquiry had been exhausted.

“However, somebody out there particularly in the case of Kwementyaye Nelson definitely knows something,” said Mr Slape.

“And there are people who may have information and people might not even be aware that the small piece of information they have, may be the missing link we require to solve these cases.”

Bradley John Murdoch (left) was convicted for murdering Peter Falconio (left).
Bradley John Murdoch (left) was convicted for murdering Peter Falconio (left).

NT Police recently renewed appeal for information on Peter Falconio and Richard Roe

Wednesday’s announcement follows after police increased the rewards to solve the cases for Peter Falconio and Richard Roe.

British tourist, Peter Falconio, was last seen alive on July 14, 2001, when he was 28 years old.

He was driving with his partner Joanne Lees on the Stuart Highway, about 10km north of Barrow Creek when he was murdered by Bradley Murdoch.

Police believe Murdoch later disposed of his body at an unknown location.

Murdoch, who convicted of Falconio’s murder and spent 23 years behind bars, died this year of throat cancer in Alice Springs.

Richard Ken Roe has been missing for nine years.

The 40-year-old was last seen on November 2, 2016 and his vehicle, a 2004 Holden Commodore station wagon, was later found abandoned.

It was spotted just south of Chinner Road on the Stuart Highway near Lake Bennett.

Since then, no one has seen or heard from Mr Roe and his bank accounts have been untouched.

Nine years later, the police say they have very little information on what might have happened to Mr Roe but “hold serious concerns that he met with foul play”.

Police said they believe there are individuals who have information that could help with these four investigations.

Acting Commander, Drew Slape said loved ones deserve answers. Picture: Gera Kazakov
Acting Commander, Drew Slape said loved ones deserve answers. Picture: Gera Kazakov

Mr Slape asked anyone who may know anything to come forward.

“All of these men have left behind loved ones, family and friends, whose lives have never been the same,” he said.

“They deserve answers.

“The increase in these rewards will hopefully bring people forward with information that will assist detectives in these investigations.

“No piece of information is too small, if you know anything please come forward.

“The NTPF do not close death investigations without a resolution, and we will continue to investigate until we know what has happened to each of these individuals.”

Anyone who may have information can contact police on 131 444 or make an anonymous report to Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.”

Originally published as ‘Loved ones deserve answers’: $500,000 reward offered for NT unsolved cold cases

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.themercury.com.au/news/loved-ones-deserve-answers-500000-reward-offered-for-nt-unsolved-cold-cases/news-story/c0f781865e91d10d4838b196ec6ea8db