Childcare art heist: Outrage as kids’ artwork held captive by centre unless parents pay $2200
A childcare centre is demanding parents pay $2200 to take their child’s artwork home as it tries to pay off debts – arguing the kids' portfolios are its “intellectual property”.
Children’s artwork is being held to ransom for $2200 by an embattled Brisbane childcare centre trying to raise cash to pay off mounting debts.
It is the latest escalation in a weeks-long saga at Craigslea Kindergarten and Preschool, on Brisbane’s northside, where parents have been denied access to their children’s own artwork.
One mother who took her child’s portfolio home despite the prohibition was accused of stealing by the centre’s manager, who called police to report a “break and enter”. Another parent said the cost imposed by the centre was “just unfathomable”.
The centre is facing mounting debts, with a financial report lodged with the nation’s charity register at the end of 2024 revealing it was $45,000 in the red.
Families whose children attend the embattled centre at Chermside West were sent an email on Monday outlining the $2200 cost for their children’s art.
“If you are opposed to the committee using the portfolios as a $2200 per piece fundraiser to make up for the $40,314 owing to teachers, please complete the below,” the email stated. Parents had to respond oppose or agree to the charge.
Under national regulations, parents are not required to pay a fee for documents like portfolios.
Queensland Premier David Crisafulli on Tuesday slammed the centre’s actions, calling them “un-Australian”.
“I just think it’s wrong on so many levels. So come on, there are better things to be worried about at the moment. Let’s give the kids their finger painting and let’s get on with life.”
Mum Brooke Dolan, who sent her five-year-old son to the centre, said parents had been locked out and the centre was withholding children’s artwork and portfolios.
Ms Dolan told The Courier-Mail parents had also been left scrambling to find alternatives for their kids’ care and the demand for $2200 was “just unfathomable”.
She complained to the centre’s manager about her child’s portfolio being withheld, and threatened to involve the police before taking the folder on September 12.
“We later discovered (a committee member) had reported a break and enter to QPS … he told me I was stealing,” she said.
Ms Dolan said she believed there were escalating tensions and frustrations among the centre’s committee and its fellow members.
All committee members except one have resigned.
“We’re all really nervous about term four – it’s quite an important time for our children, because it’s like the key term before they transition into prep and go to big school … so we’ve all been doing the best we can, having our kids at home and just being without childcare,” a parent said.
Thomas D’Souza, a committee member, said the childcare centre was out of money.
“We have made every effort to run the kindergarten at the $65 fee set by the 2024 Committee for the 2025 year,” he said.
Mr D’Souza said he felt all communication was fair and adequate and it respected the privacy of the staff.
“There were (unpaid superannuation debts that stemmed from 2020, unpaid taxes from 2022 in excess of $75,000 and the overpayment of staff, in excess of the Enterprise Bargaining Agreement since 2022 and has been going on since,” he said.
“Portfolios created by teachers of artwork from the students, analysis by the teachers as employees during the course of their employment is intellectual property of the association.
“Parents can purchase them with all the funds going to the shortfall in staff salaries. The administrator or liquidator may decide in the future to offer these for free.”
A spokesman for the Department of Education it was aware of the concerns raised regarding Craigslea Kindergarten & Preschool, specifically involving matters between staff and the management committee, which acted as the approved provider of the service.
“Senior departmental officers are talking to families regarding their concerns in addition to working closely with the Approved Provider,” they said.
“We understand that this is very distressing for all families involved who want to ensure their children can access a kindy program in their local community.”
The spokesman said the department is working closely with C&K as the affiliate body to work through this very complex matter, including options for children’s continued access to a kindergarten program.
“C&K is working closely with the management committee regarding staffing and the process of settling the management committee membership following recent resignations and is keeping the department updated.”
A spokesman for C&K said Craigslea Community Kindergarten was operated by a Volunteer Management Committee made up of parents and community members.
“C&K is aware that families and staff at Craigslea Community Kindergarten have raised concerns regarding the kindergarten’s current governance arrangements,” the spokesman said.
“C&K is working closely with the Department of Education to support Craigslea Community Kindergarten to resume its wonderful, high-quality early childhood program, so Brisbane’s northside families can continue to benefit for many years to come.”
More Coverage
Originally published as Childcare art heist: Outrage as kids’ artwork held captive by centre unless parents pay $2200
