NewsBite

Collingwood defender Dan Houston has learned his fate for his AFL high shot

There was huge conjecture over the penalty Dan Houston would get for his nasty high shot and he’s now learned his Tribunal fate.

Collingwood star Dan Houston in strife over high shot on Lachie Fogarty

Dan Houston has learned his fate for his high shot on Carlton’s Lachie Fogarty during Collingwood’s 17-point victory at the MCG on Thursday night.

The 27-year-old Houston copped a five-match ban for a brutal bump on Adelaide’s Izak Rankine in round 24 last season that ended his time with Port Adelaide.

FOX FOOTY, available on Kayo Sports, is the only place to watch every match of every round in the 2025 Toyota AFL Premiership Season LIVE in 4K, with no ad-breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited-time offer.

Recruited to the Pies on a big-money deal for 2025, the two-time All Australian will now spend another two matches on the sidelines after the match review panel deemed the incident careless conduct, high impact and high contact.

Many had speculated that he could be looking at a suspension of around double that length, although Fogarty was able to play out the game.

After the 8.15 (63) to 6.10 (46) win, Houston didn’t seem concerned about the incident.

“I thought I had a fair play on the ball and obviously I’ve gone to protect myself and those things happen,” he told Channel 7.

Watch the incident in the video player above

A screenshot of Dan Houston's high shot on Lachie Fogarty. Photo: Fox Sports
A screenshot of Dan Houston's high shot on Lachie Fogarty. Photo: Fox Sports

“I didn’t actually realise it happened until you mentioned it. I was fully focused on the team.

“It’s such a hard game to play and especially behind the ball you’ve got to make those split-second decisions when you see the ball coming at you.”

With the Sherrin bouncing out of the forward 50m line and clear of their contest, Houston opted to lead with his right arm and connect with the side of Fogarty’s head.

Houston appeared to realise immediately what he’d done at least out on the field, raising his hands in a gesture of apology.

Fortunately for the Carlton midfielder – and Houston – Fogarty continued to play after being assessed by team doctors.

'Rein it in!' – Houston blasted for bump

Houston, who missed Opening Round serving his previous suspension, has now copped a two-match ban, set to return for the Anzac Day showdown with Essendon.

Speaking at halftime on Thursday night, Fox Footy reporter Jon Ralph said he would “be shocked” if he only got two weeks.

“I think he’ll be suspended for at least two weeks,” Ralph said.

“It’s just a matter of how many weeks (match review officer) Michael Christian can elevate it.

“High elbows and forearms to the head are usually listed as intentional, so let’s call it intentional and with medium impact that would be two weeks.

“From there Michael Christian can ratchet it up. Remember he had a five-week penalty that ended his career at Port Adelaide.

“I’d be shocked if he (only) got two weeks. I think it’s three or four weeks.”

Another angle of the high shot showing the point of impact. Photo: Fox Sports
Another angle of the high shot showing the point of impact. Photo: Fox Sports

Jason Dunstall added: “They’ll try to argue it down.

“If we’re trying to stamp out that act, there has to be a suspension.”

Commentators had missed the incident before it was replayed during the Fox Footy broadcast.

“Ooh, gee, Houston has collected Fogarty there,” Jack Riewoldt said when he saw the vision.

“That did not look good.”

Brad Johnson then reported from the sideline: “He’s just come off the ground too Fogarty.

“The doctors are having a look at the vision as we speak also.”

When the moment was replayed later, Riewoldt stated: “Here’s that hit from Houston again.

“Oh my … that’s an elbow straight to the jaw.”

Houston copped a five-game ban for this hit on Izak Rankine last year. (Photo by Mark Brake/Getty Images)
Houston copped a five-game ban for this hit on Izak Rankine last year. (Photo by Mark Brake/Getty Images)

Johnson also had a promising report on Fogarty nearing halftime.

“The doctors have checked Lachie Fogarty,” he said. “They had a good chat to him and assessed him that he’s all good to keep going.

“I’m sure they’ll have another chat at halftime.”

Asked for his thoughts on the hit, Johnson replied: “Houston’s in a fair bit of trouble for what he just did.”

Fellow sideline commentator Eddie Betts also commented on the incident.

“It was just the action, so the way that he came in and used his shoulder and connected with the jaw,” Betts said.

“We see it here in slow motion, bang. That’s the action that we’re trying to stamp out of the game.

“I tell you what, Dan Houston is very lucky that Lachie Fogarty wasn’t in strife and went down with a concussion.”

Originally published as Collingwood defender Dan Houston has learned his fate for his AFL high shot

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.thechronicle.com.au/sport/afl/straight-to-the-jaw-star-pie-in-huge-strife/news-story/448a36cfb8145d4c7dbbf60705f126b9