Brad Hill reveals St Kilda fears after key players hurt during pre-season
Brad Hill has revealed the fears St Kilda’s players held after a pre-season session where three players — including spearhead Max King — went down with injury.
AFL
Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Saints veteran Brad Hill said he didn’t once consider withdrawing from the squad despite witnessing a “scary” run of injuries at St Kilda training on Friday.
Hill, 31, said it was an ominous feeling in the changerooms after Max King (knee), Mason Wood (quad), and Jack Sinclair (hamstring) all left the track early with injury concerns.
Scans have cleared all three of serious damage, but that didn’t stop teammates fearing the worst.
“It was pretty scary,” Hill said.
“After training, it was pretty quiet around the club and everyone was a little bit scared.
“We had our fingers crossed, especially for big Maxy (King) because there was a little bit of worry about the injury he could’ve done, but scans proved that it’s clear.
“I’m pretty excited about that because he’s been training the house down. He’s looking strong. The other boys won’t be too long either.”
Hill said he had the club’s full support to line up against Fremantle on Saturday despite the injury scares, senior coach Ross Lyon endorsing him and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera as St Kilda’s two representatives.
“Ross said straight away — once the game was announced — ‘Yep, we’ll put our hands up to play,’” he said.
“Ross is big on us being able to represent our people and play in a big game like this.
“I’ve been pretty lucky. I haven’t missed any training. I’ve been good with injury.”
SAINTS’ SUMMER OF PAIN FINALLY LOOKING UP
— Jay Clark
St Kilda spearhead Max King will push to make his return from a horror injury run as soon as Saturday week against Carlton after being cleared of any serious knee damage.
King suffered a knee scare at training last week but in a major boost is on track to play against the Blues (February 15) and Port Adelaide (February 22) in preparation for the season-opener against Adelaide in Round 1.
And superstar playmaker Jack Sinclair (hamstring) and goal kicker Mason Wood (quad) remain a good chance of taking on the Crows at Adelaide Oval in 33 days.
Sinclair, 29, suffered a minor hamstring strain last week and will set his sights on round 1 while Wood, 31, hurt his quad and will be on a modified training program for several weeks.
Exciting playmaker Liam Henry is also on the verge of joining in on main training after a slower-than-expected recovery from season-ending surgery on cartilage on his knee last year.
But the good news King remains in the frame to play preseason games pending further assessment next week is a major relief for the Saints on the back of his mega contract extension.
King, who was limited to 23 matches due to serious knee and shoulder injuries over the past two years, inked a six-year extension which locked the gun goal kicker in until 2032.
One of the club’s most important players, the 202cm forward is hoping to rejoin main training next week and is set to enter the new season in his best condition since 2022 campaign when he booted 52 goals and 41 behinds across 22 games.
In particular, King is expected to unveil a bulked-up frame in the competitive hit-outs after a long summer in the gym.
The No. 4 draft pick said he was at the “crossroads” in 2025 after a disappointing couple of seasons marred by injury.
“If you are going to do it, it is now. It is time to consistently show your ability,” King told the Herald Sun after his contract extension.
“So when I look back at the past five years, no, there is not much satisfaction there.
“But I’m hungry and feel like there is more to give, so I’m definitely excited.”
Ruckman Rowan Marshall remains hopeful of playing in round 1 as he recovers from an usual pelvis stress injury after slipping on a walk down a hill on a leadership camp in New Zealand.
Mature-age South Australian ruckman Harry Boyd is expected to get a major opportunity in the ruck against the Blues at Ikon Park and Power at RSEA Park this month.
Exciting big-bodied midfielder Mattaes Phillipou (leg) Dougal Howard (shoulder) will remain sidelined over the first month of the season with serious injuries while former Carlton onballer Paddy Dow (knee) will also have a delayed start to the season.
Originally published as Brad Hill reveals St Kilda fears after key players hurt during pre-season