NewsBite

Single Steps event cancelled amid controversy swirling around domestic violence charity founder

A fundraising and speaking event for a Tasmanian domestic violence charity has been cancelled amid ongoing controversy surrounding its founder.

Mel Kane founder of charity Single Steps Tasmania in 2023. Picture: Nikki Davis-Jones
Mel Kane founder of charity Single Steps Tasmania in 2023. Picture: Nikki Davis-Jones

A speaking event for Tasmanian domestic violence charity Single Steps has been cancelled amid growing controversy surrounding its founder.

The “fundraising and domestic and family abuse awareness evening” was due to take place on April 26 at Rhonda’s on Midlands, formerly the Bagdad Community Club, with guest speakers including prominent advocates Faith Tkalac, Romany Wake and Jenna Purton and her niece Shakira Robertson.

The Mercury understands all have withdrawn from the event after criticisms began being levelled against Single Steps founder Mel Kane via Facebook last month.

Mel Kane is the founder and organiser of the Single Steps Tasmania charity. Photo: Linda Higginson
Mel Kane is the founder and organiser of the Single Steps Tasmania charity. Photo: Linda Higginson

The charity has since shut down its page on Facebook.

The Daily Mail first reported she pleaded guilty to obtaining financial advantage from the Commonwealth at the Hobart Magistrates Court in May 2022 and was convicted under the name Melissa Maree Banks.

The court has verified those details to the Mercury, and that she was sentenced to a nine-month home detention order and reparations of $38,871.16.

Since the reports, Ms Tkalac and Ms Wake have taken to Facebook to call out and announce they had distanced themselves from Ms Kane and Single Steps, while Ms Purton and MC Aaron Maxwell both confirmed to The Mercury they had cancelled appearances at the speaking event citing the recent controversy.

Management of Rhonda’s, which has only been open five weeks, said they had not heard from Ms Kane since the allegations emerged but assumed the event to be cancelled.

Operators of Justice for Khaylan – created in honour of 10-month old baby Khaylan Butler who died after being shaken in his cot by Daniel John Ridgers and which includes his mother, Maddison Butler – have also distanced themselves from Single Steps in a public post to their Facebook page.

A flyer for the speaking event. Picture: Daily Mail
A flyer for the speaking event. Picture: Daily Mail

Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) records show the charity was established in November 2021 and formally registered in August 2023.

Ms Kane was a prominent figure in local domestic and family violence advocacy, previously winning a finalist position in the 2022 Volunteering Tasmania Community Care and Health Awards and photographed alongside state politicians including former state Labor leader Rebecca White.

In a June 2023 interview with The Mercury, Ms Kane claimed the charity had helped around 200 women in the past year.

“We’re not government funded, everything we’ve done so far relies on fundraising and public donations,” she said.

In response to questions, Ms Kane confirmed the event was cancelled but would not comment further.

bridget.clarke@news.com.au

Originally published as Single Steps event cancelled amid controversy swirling around domestic violence charity founder

Original URL: https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/tasmania/single-steps-event-cancelled-amid-controversy-swirling-around-domestic-violence-charity-founder/news-story/476206c72b64b3d5286dc76c8375720c