NewsBite

Matthew Garwood Ronnie Radke latest: Launceston mayor’s Instagram chat messages reveal livestream, sue threats

An Instagram conversation between a controversial US rocker and Launceston’s under-fire mayor has revealed further legal woes may be ahead, with council flagging threats towards councillors with the American Embassy. SEE THE MESSAGES

Launceston Mayor Matthew Garwood with controversial US rocker Ronnie Radke.
Launceston Mayor Matthew Garwood with controversial US rocker Ronnie Radke.

An Instagram conversation between a controversial US rocker and Launceston’s under-fire mayor has revealed further legal woes may be ahead, with council flagging threats towards councillors with the American Embassy.

Councillors issued a vote of no confidence in Mayor Matthew Garwood after he shared a photo with the rocker — who is a convicted criminal — saying they spoke about “all things Tassie and personal growth and learning”.

Multiple councillors spoke out about the photo, which led to the rocker posting a series of expletive-laden rants, telling his followers they should “bully” councillors and sharing their email addresses and mobile phone numbers.

In an email sent from City of Launceston CEO Sam Johnson to Mayor Matthew Garwood last week, Mr Johnson asked the mayor to provide screenshots of conversations at the request of council’s lawyers and to ensure “our people are protected”.

“The events that have transpired over the past days are unfortunate, and disappointing,” Mr Johnson said. “To have the City of Launceston reflected in such a light is unacceptable.”

The screenshots of the pair’s conversation provided by Mr Garwood reveal Radke was threatening to do a livestream over the incident and asked the mayor if any councillors or officials wanted to join in to “speak out against these people”.

In the messages, Mr Garwood thanked Mr Radke for “the heads up” about a possible livestream.

“My leadership is in question to the point where some are calling for me to stand down over this,” he wrote.

Mr Garwood also pointed out how Radke’s video uploads made people feel unsafe and uncomfortable.

“The death threats and abuse is still coming thick and fast for those councillors and their families,“ he wrote.

“As the elected leader I condemn that and I have to take responsibility for it.”

Radke replied that he was “also getting attacked by people” and threatened to “file a lawsuit against (the councillors) for their discriminatory remarks publicly”.

“You need to explain to them I am not playing I will sue them it is unacceptable they would do this after I come to your country and boost your economy I’ve done nothing to deserve this on top of them asking ME TO APOLOGIZE they need to apologize,” Radke said.

Singer Ronnie Radke converses with Launceston mayor Matthew Garwood.
Singer Ronnie Radke converses with Launceston mayor Matthew Garwood.
Singer Ronnie Radke converses with Launceston mayor Matthew Garwood.
Singer Ronnie Radke converses with Launceston mayor Matthew Garwood.
Mayor Matthew Garwood’s response to Radke’s messages.
Mayor Matthew Garwood’s response to Radke’s messages.
Mayor Matthew Garwood’s response to Radke’s messages.
Mayor Matthew Garwood’s response to Radke’s messages.
Radke continues.
Radke continues.
Radke continues.
Radke continues.

Mr Garwood told Radke in one message how he has refused to put his name on “that”, the official statement from the council released on March 22 signed by CEO Sam Johnson.

“The City of Launceston condemns the dangerous and irresponsible actions of US singer Ronnie Radke, who has used his social media platform to incite harassment and abuse against elected councillors,” Mr Johnson said at the time.

“Councillors have a duty to represent the interests of the community without fear of intimidation or abuse. No individual — celebrity or otherwise — has the right to weaponise their platform against those who exercise their democratic right to voice concerns.

“Mr Radke’s actions place undue risk on the safety and wellbeing of councillors and their families, creating a hostile environment that goes against the principles of free speech, accountability, and civil discourse.”

At the recent council meeting, Mr Garwood explained why he had not put his name to the apology, saying he wanted the statement to come from the council and didn’t want to add his name which might continue “the almighty, horrible fire”.

Mr Garwood also told councillors he hadn’t been in contact with Radke since he was asked to provide screenshots of his conversations to council.

Radke has been reached out to for comment via his social media.

The council was also contacted for comment.

Originally published as Matthew Garwood Ronnie Radke latest: Launceston mayor’s Instagram chat messages reveal livestream, sue threats

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/tasmania/matthew-garwood-ronnie-radke-latest-launceston-mayors-instagram-chat-messages-reveal-livestream-sue-threats/news-story/c2c222d8ad2cc682a34da50e2a5399a6