Wellington Point crash: Mother recounts fears for teen cyclist
A 13-year-old cyclist must learn to walk again after a bayside crash left him with severe injuries to both his legs.
QLD News
Don't miss out on the headlines from QLD News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
The mother of a 13-year-old cyclist who was hit by a car in the Redlands has recounted the moment she arrived to see her lifeless son on the ground as people tried to save his life.
Jacob Vesovic was on an afternoon ride on March 29 when he was struck by a white Holden Commodore utility just after 2pm on Old Cleveland Rd, Wellington Point.
He was rushed to hospital with significant leg injuries. He has since had surgery on both his legs so that he can learn to walk again.
Police are investigating the cause of the crash.
His mother Karen Vesovic said she had just got home from work when she received a phone call from a stranger who borrowed her son’s friend’s phone so she could tell her the news.
“I was only five minutes away when I got the phone call. I got there very quickly,” she said. “She just said he was in a bad way.
“Everything was running through my head. Is he alive? Has he got spine injuries? Has he got head injuries? Was his helmet done up properly?
“Everything was just going through my head and I was just in panic mode because you don’t know what to expect when you actually get there.”
Ms Vesovic said it was all a blur when she got there.
“I don’t think you can prepare yourself for what you see when you get there,” she said.
“He just looked so lifeless and was just lying there with people around him just trying to keep him alive, basically.
“I am so grateful that there’s just so many people around that could help him in that instant just get that first bit of first aid happening.”
Ms Vesovic said her son had a long road to recovery and was in a high care ward and will have to relearn how to walk.
“It’s going to be a slow, slow process to be up and walking. They’re hoping today he might be able to get a moon boot on one leg, and they can start to get him a little bit upright,” she said.
“In a few months, his gums should heal enough for them to be able to look at doing the dental work. He’s got a fractured cheek bone, a broken nose, some stitches and a lot of bruising.
“It’s going to be very different. It took him a couple of days to be able to get into the wheelchair assisted.”
Ms Vesovic said it had been a very hectic time for the family but she was grateful her son was wearing a helmet.
“I want to focus on the importance of helmet protection and nagging children all the time, especially with so many ebikes and scooters around.”
A GoFundMe campaign has since been set up for the family to help with his long recovery.
The driver of the white Holden Commodore, a 17-year-old male, and his 18-year-old female passenger were uninjured.
Police are calling for anyone with dashcam or CCTV footage to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
More Coverage
Originally published as Wellington Point crash: Mother recounts fears for teen cyclist