Guy Sebastian splits with long-time manager as he relaunches music career with new single
Guy Sebastian has parted ways with a key figure who steered his career in the “vulnerable” period after his bust-up with a former mate.
Music
Don't miss out on the headlines from Music. Followed categories will be added to My News.
EXCLUSIVE
Guy Sebastian has split with his manager Jennifer Fontaine as the Choir star reboots his music career this week.
Both Sebastian and Fontaine have told industry insiders and friends their parting is more of a conscious uncoupling than an acrimonious bust-up after eight years working together.
The chart-topping singer, television personality and now actor has long wanted to build his own in-house team, similar to how Jimmy Barnes steers his business affairs.
His day-to-day manager Lauren Stamper, who is “close mates” with Sebastian’s wife Jules and also looks after her business affairs, leads the new management team.
The former television music and creative producer worked alongside Fontaine at her Private Idaho agency before the split.
Sebastian has also brought his long-time tour manager George Said into the new crew at his company Guytunes to help plot and book his live performances and tours.
He retains Angela Ceberano and her Flourish agency as publicist for his tours.
Fontaine took over steering Sebastian’s career after the bitter split with his former best friend and minder Titus Day in 2017.
“The thing with Jen is she knew I always wanted to have my own internal team and I wanted to be at the table on everything; it wasn’t such a huge shock,” he told news.com.au.
“She was there at a pretty vulnerable time for me and however this rolls out, I wanted us to remain great friends afterwards.”
The pop star and Fontaine sent out a joint “update on our management partnership” to music and television industry representatives in February.
“To say we have kicked goals is a total understatement! All due to the powerhouse talent of Guy and my determination to provide a safe and nurturing place for him to be the best he can be,” Fontaine wrote in the statement.
Fontaine remained upbeat in the missive despite her sad split with Sebastian.
She insisted she would remain a cheerleader for the Battle Scars star who releases his new single Maybe on Friday, ahead of a performance at the Australian Idol final next week.
“We have always been arm in arm and this remains today. I know what’s coming musically and creatively and I will be his #1 believer and supporter. Change is constant in this business and we have always made every decision with purpose, positivity and respect,” she wrote.
Sebastian said the transition from working with Fontaine to establishing his own team had been smooth and the pair “talk every second day” as they resolve ongoing business matters.
“This couldn’t be more the opposite to my last (management) disentanglement,” he said.
Fontaine, who also has Human Nature and 2023 Idol winner Royston Noell on her roster, recently signed with The Veronicas’ American management team as a “talent and brand manager.”
Sebastian will release his new record later this year on Sony, where he was signed fresh off his Idol win in 2003, but he also plans to set up a new imprint to develop and manage up and coming artists.
He said he quit being a coach on The Voice this season so he could finally finish his 10th studio album which he has also produced.
The popular entertainer also made his acting debut in the Bollywood-Australian film Hindi Vindi which was released in February.
His release and touring plans, which included performances in the UK, will be interrupted from May 26 when the retrial of his former manager Titus Day begins in Sydney.
Day was originally jailed for two-and-a-half years in 2022 after a jury found he had misappropriated $620,000 from his star client of eight years.
Day, who maintains his innocence, had his convictions quashed on appeal and was released from jail in June 2023 after serving seven months of his sentence.
The retrial could not go ahead until the Director of Public Prosecutions compensated Day for legal costs related to the first trial and he was subsequently repaid $960,000 in January this year.
Sebastian said the first trial took a huge toll on his mental health and his weight dropped to 66kg.
More Coverage
Originally published as Guy Sebastian splits with long-time manager as he relaunches music career with new single