Novak Djokovic eyes Australian Open, ready to shake off vax drama
Novak Djokovic has arrived in Adelaide almost a year after being dramatically booted from the country over his Covid stance.
Tennis star Novak Djokovic has landed in Adelaide ahead of the Australian Open, less than one year after he was sensationally booted from the country over his refusal to be Covid-vaccinated.
Tennis Australia chief Craig Tiley said during a press conference on Tuesday the nine-time Australian Open champion was set to land in Adelaide “as we speak”.
“He is going to be, again, the player to beat. He finished 2022 playing the best tennis. He does want to get to equalling the current record held by (Rafael Nadal),” he said.
“I have a great deal of confidence in the Australian public. I think we are a very well educated sporting public, particularly those that come to the tennis.
“They love seeing greatness. They love seeing great athleticism and great matches. I have a lot of confidence that the fans will react like we hope they would react and have respect for that.”
Djokovic was forced to leave Australia on January 16 after his visa was cancelled twice because he did not have proof of a Covid-19 vaccination. A certificate was required to enter Australia at the time under immigration rules during the pandemic.
The circus spanned 10 days from his arrival on January 5, when he was detained by the Australian Border Force.
After being granted two medical exemptions from Tennis Australia and the Victorian state government, the commonwealth moved to cancel his visa for fear Djokovic would stoke “anti-vax” sentiment at a time public health officials and authorities were pushing widespread vaccine coverage.
After his visa was cancelled he spent a number of days in hotel detention at the Park Hotel in Carlton, Melbourne, where other refugees had been housed for years without a decision on their citizenship status.
Immigration Minister Alex Hawke cancelled the tennis star’s visa despite conceding he posed a “negligible” risk of spreading Covid in the community.
But Mr Hawke, in his arguments during a snap Federal Court case over the debacle, said Djokovic being allowed to stay would encourage others not to get the Covid jab or their boosters.
Djokovic and his legal team eventually conceded his travel declaration to enter Australia also contained false information and he attended an event in his home country after testing positive for Covid-19, in breach of Serbian restrictions.
He travelled to Belgrade in the 14 days prior to entering Australia, when he stated he had not travelled at all in that fortnight.
Djokovic confirmed in November he had received a visa to contest the 2023 Australian Open.
To join the conversation, please log in. Don't have an account? Register
Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout