It’s reigning mums and dads at Magic Millions
It almost didn’t go ahead and most of the big money international buyers aren’t able to front the Magic Millions sales, which starts at the Gold Coast on Tuesday.
It almost didn’t go ahead and most of the big money international buyers aren’t able to saddle up to find that special thoroughbred at the Magic Millions sales, which starts at the Gold Coast on Tuesday.
As the annual yearlings auction kicks off the year for Australia’s horse racing industry, “mum and dad’’ syndicates could prove the bolter in the field.
The carnival has been stripped back, with the polo game and celebrity-studded beach soirees cancelled, leaving just the serious business of selling a record 1270 horses ahead of Saturday’s $10.25m race day.
After nearly a year of COVID-19 lockdowns, the sales could prove a significant gauge of the depth of disposable income around the country.
Harvey Norman chairman and Magic Millions co-owner Gerry Harvey reckons it could be the year of the syndicate, with the professional overseas trainers and stables unable to attend and relying on their agents to pick a winner.
He said Australians had shown that with travel, dining and going-out limited, they had looked to spend their money elsewhere. “I think it is boom time for them because if you are a syndicator, you are going to have a lot to choose,’’ he said. “And you have more people interested in taking a share in a horse than ever before.
“They have been out buying fridges and lounges, they can’t go overseas and are not going out as much so now they are thinking I’ve got the money, maybe I’ll put five, 10, 20 grand into a horse.
“They see the big races and the prizemoney and it’s interesting, something to talk about.’’
Figures provided by Magic Millions show there has been $414.16m in prizemoney earned between 2015 and 2020 from yearlings sold at the auctions on the Gold Coast.
Magic Millions managing director Barry Bowditch said this year’s catalogue had engendered huge interest from syndicates and individual buyers alike.
Among the big name sires are Written Tycoon, Snitzel, Redoute’s Choice and I Am Invincible, the last of which brought $1m prices last year for two of its progeny.
“Even though overseas buyers aren’t here, their agents are here and the quality of horse is fantastic,’’ Mr Bowditch said.
Victorian-based Busuttin Racing stable, headed by Trent Busuttin and Natalie Young, is hoping to repeat its $300,000 purchase of Tagaloa, a yearling out of the Arrowfield draft that is now a Group 1 winner with $1.6m in prizemoney.
“The quality at this sale is unbelievable, the fillies in particular are outstanding,’’ Young said.
“We are interested in 10 or 11 yearlings — we just have to work out what we can afford.
“Quite a few of the yearlings we are interested in have the same qualities as Tagaloa when we bought him.”
To join the conversation, please log in. Don't have an account? Register
Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout