Police beef up security around Melbourne synagogues
Jewish schools and places of worship around Melbourne have been bolstered with extra security after community leaders requested increased support from the Victorian government.
Jewish schools and places of worship around Melbourne have been bolstered with extra security after community leaders requested increased support from the Victorian government.
The Jewish community is still reeling from reports of the horror attacks against Israel at the weekend, with fears they may cause a rise in anti-Semitic sentiment domestically.
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan reiterated her Tuesday statement condemning the “atrocious” attacks, noting how difficult the past couple of days had been for the Jewish community. “These attacks are appalling, they are atrocious. It’s almost unthinkable,” she said.
“And then to speak to members of the Jewish community here who have family members, loved ones and friends in Israel being directly affected, it’s heartbreaking to hear these stories.”
She confirmed requests for extra support had been heeded by the government and Victoria Police would be providing increased security across the city.
“Can I also thank the work of Victoria Police, who have increased their presence around key locations in Melbourne to support the Jewish community at this incredibly difficult time,” she said. “Around schools and places of worship and important cultural institutions for the local Jewish community, Victoria Police have increased their presence at those locations.”
A Victoria Police spokesman recognised the impact the conflict in the Middle East would have on the Victorian community. “We are in close communication with all communities who have a strong interest in the events … and are mindful of the potential for escalating tensions,” he said.
The police would not disclose what resources had been deployed, but said they were taking any threats or violence against the community “seriously.”
The Melbourne Crime Investigation Unit looked into allegations that a group of young men on Toorak Road on Tuesday afternoon were making anti-Semitic threats.
A witness told 3AW on Wednesday he allegedly heard the men say there were “on the hunt to kill Jews”.
Police said they spoke to all parties involved and the person who reported the matter was satisfied with the resolution.
Jewish Community Council of Victoria president Daniel Aghion said the threat level against Jewish people had elevated and they were “traumatised” by the attacks on Israelites.
To join the conversation, please log in. Don't have an account? Register
Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout