NewsBite

Greens leader Adam Bandt suggests Israel to blame for Hamas butchery

Greens leader Adam Bandt has bizarrely suggested Israel is to blame for Hamas’s brutal executions of Palestinians who had risen up against the terror group’s stranglehold of the Gaza Strip.

Greens leader Adam Bandt has suggested Israel is to blame for Hamas's executions of Palestinians who had marched against the terror group's control of Gaza.
Greens leader Adam Bandt has suggested Israel is to blame for Hamas's executions of Palestinians who had marched against the terror group's control of Gaza.

Greens leader Adam Bandt has ­bizarrely suggested Israel is to blame for Hamas’s brutal executions of Palestinians who had risen up against the terror group’s stranglehold of the Gaza Strip.

The leader of the left-wing party – which could play an important role in a hung parliament after the federal election – said while the killings should be investigated by human rights groups, the ultimate problem in Gaza was Israel’s occupation.

Hamas has begun to crack down on thousands of Gazans who protested against the group last week, executing at least six and publicly beating others, ­according to Israeli media.

One of those murdered was Odai al-Rubai, 22, who was beaten and tortured for four hours before being dumped, dying, on his ­family’s doorstep.

“He was dragged by a rope around his neck, beaten with clubs and metal rods in front of passers-by,” a Gaza City resident told ­Israel’s Ynet TV.

Another resident posted on X that as they dumped his body, militants told Mr Rubai’s family: “This is the punishment for those who badmouth Hamas.”

Ynet also reported that another protester, Hussam al-Majdalawi, was kidnapped, shot in the legs and left in a public square in the Nuseirat refugee camp.

Key election issues explained: Middle East conflict

When The Australian asked Mr Bandt if he condemned Hamas’s actions and if the International Criminal Court should investigate, the Greens leader did not reference the terror group by name and instead attacked the ­Israeli government of Benjamin Netanyahu.

“The killing of civilians is devastating, never acceptable and should always be investigated by human rights organisations,” he said. “For all killings to finally stop, and for Palestinians and Israelis to have a just and lasting peace, the occupation of Palestine and the invasion of Gaza need to end.

“Australia needs to move from words to action and put pressure on the extremist Netanyahu government to end the occupation of Palestine, which is the root cause of the conflict, and end the ­invasion of Gaza.”

Foreign Minister Penny Wong on Monday called the Hamas executions “reprehensible acts” and said the terror group must play no role in Palestine’s future.

“The terror Hamas inflicts on Israelis and Palestinians is why the Australian government has sanctioned Hamas and listed it as a terrorist organisation,” she said in a statement. “Hamas must cease its terrorist acts and release the hostages immediately and unconditionally.

“Hamas can have no role in the future governance of Gaza.”

Last week Hamas and other Gaza terror groups published a statement vowing to suppress protesters and punish organisers.

“These suspicious individuals are as responsible as the occupation for the bloodshed of our people and will be treated accordingly,” the statement read.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke and Education Minister Jason Clare, who face the most potent Muslim community challenges in their western Sydney electorates, on Monday condemned the brutal crackdown.

“I’ve only seen the early reports; it won’t be the first time that Hamas has been responsible, not only for the persecution of Israelis but also for the persecution of Palestinians,” Mr Burke said.

“Terrorist organisations often don’t care who they harm. I have never hesitated in my condemnation of Hamas.”

Mr Clare echoed that sentiment, saying “the killing of innocent people is abhorrent” and that he has “condemned and continues to condemn Hamas”.

Meanwhile, Anthony Albanese declined to endorse any part of a 15-point plan on anti-Semitism developed by the leading Jewish community organisation and endorsed by the Coalition.

Executive Council of Australian Jewry president Daniel Aghion said he was “disappointed the government failed to even address” the plan of action.

“This has left many critical areas of concern unresolved, including the situation on university campuses, the status of hate preachers who benefit from charitable status, the role of schools in delivering anti-Semitism education, and the need to address the ideological bias that runs through many cultural institutions,” he said. “In writing to both the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition asking them to engage with the plan of action and ultimately endorse it, we aimed to give our community and all Australians clarity on how the parties propose to combat anti-Semitism.

“We are disappointed that the government has failed to commit to any of the specific measures.”

The plan was initially formulated at Sky News’ anti-Semitism summit in February, amid a tense environment of crimes aimed at Jewish Australians.

In a letter to the ECAJ, Mr Albanese said he would “like to reiterate my public statements – anti-Semitism has no place in Australia and I unequivocally condemn it”.

“Every Australian, no matter their race or religion, should be able to enjoy their life in any Australian community, without prejudice or discrimination,” the letter reads.

The three-page letter lists various actions by the government to curtail anti-Semitism in the community. It referenced legislation to criminalise doxxing, hate symbols, and Operation Avalite to investigate anti-Semitic crimes. But Mr Albanese failed to commit to any of the ECAJ’s 15 key points.

Mr Dutton has agreed to the 15 points. Mr Albanese’s office has been contacted for comment.

Read related topics:GreensIsrael

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/pm-tells-peak-jewish-group-no-on-antisemitism-plan/news-story/40a862258ab6250b00339d113048eeed