Drought co-ordinator’s sacking catches Berejiklian on the hop
Tensions are at boiling point after NSW Water Minister Melinda Pavey sacked the state’s drought co-ordinator without discussion.
Tensions within the NSW Nationals are at boiling point after Water Minister Melinda Pavey sacked the state’s drought co-ordinator in the midst of one of the worst droughts in history without discussing the move with key colleagues.
The decision to dismiss Jock Laurie — less than 12 months after he was appointed — blindsided Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall, and has further fanned flames within the Nationals.
Ms Pavey made the move before heading to Israel to look at desalination technology, leaving Ms Berejiklian to learn of Mr Laurie’s dumping via news reports.
After the news broke of Mr Laurie’s axing on Wednesday, Deputy Premier John Barilaro’s office was forced to put out a statement to explain the move was part of a broader policy to tackle the drought, including the establishment of a “dedicated Office of Drought Response”.
Mr Laurie was apparently sent a letter giving him notice from a bureaucrat last Friday, shortly before Ms Pavey flew out.
James McTavish, who was appointed in January as the Regional Town Water Supply Co-ordinator, is expected to take on the NSW government’s lead anti-drought role.
Government sources claimed Mr Laurie, who earned close to $300,000 a year, had not been in contact with Ms Pavey since the March state election and Mr McTavish had been taking the lead on drought matters.
Mr Laurie, a former National Farmers Federation president, was appointed Land and Water Commissioner in 2012 by then water minister Kevin Humphries. He was praised yesterday by the man who appointed him drought co-ordinator last year, retired MP and former water minister Niall Blair.
“I thought he was doing a great job as drought co-ordinator and as land and water commissioner,” Mr Blair said. “I never questioned his output and his role was valuable. He was the right person I thought at the time.”
In a statement, a spokesman for Mr Barilaro said: “The NSW government is establishing a dedicated Office of Drought Response that will enable increased support for regional communities suffering during this prolonged drought. State drought co-ordinator Jock Laurie played an important role in helping to lead the immediate response to the drought on behalf of farmers.
“His contribution to regional NSW during the most severe drought on record has been outstanding and we thank him for his tireless effort working on behalf of the state’s farmers. ’’
The statement said the drought had “quickly moved beyond the farm gate and spread into regional towns and cities. The Office of Drought Response will bring together all resources of government to support families, businesses and farmers … to make sure our regional communities make it through this drought.’’
Mr Laurie did not return phone calls yesterday.
Both Mr Marshall and Ms Pavey are said to be jockeying for position in case Mr Barilaro decides to make a move to the federal government, as he has privately foreshadowed to colleagues.
As The Australian revealed earlier this year, Mr Barilaro would consider running for the federal seat of Eden-Monaro if Labor MP Mike Kelly retires, as some are speculating could occur early next year.
To join the conversation, please log in. Don't have an account? Register
Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout