Police praise Mardi Gras behaviour despite protest stunt
Pro-Palestine protesters have been lauded by anti-police groups for their ‘interruption’ of the Labor Party float at Sydney’s Mardi Gras that resulted in nine arrests.
Pro-Palestine protesters have been lauded by anti-police groups for their “interruption” of the Labor Party float at Sydney’s Mardi Gras that resulted in nine arrests.
Tensions were high in the lead-up to the parade following the alleged murders of young gay couple Luke Davies and Jesse Baird by a serving police officer, Beau Lamarre-Condon. The police presence was questioned by some in the community, yet more than 35 officers marched in plain clothes, flanked by about a dozen uniformed on-duty officers, to the cheers of revellers.
Eight protesters – aged between 25 and 42 – holding a “Queers in Solidarity with Palestinian Resistance” sign, were charged with using violence to cause fear in a group of more than three people, after allegedly storming the parade near Taylor Square moments ahead of Chris Minns, who was making history as the first NSW premier to walk in the Mardi Gras.
“Police arrested seven men and two women for entering the parade route as the Premier approached,” NSW Police said in a statement.
“Police on parade and Public Order officers arrested the nine prior to them engaging with the Premier. The Premier continued and left the route as intended.”
A post that claimed to be from Queers in Solidarity with Palestinian Resistance said “trans and queer activists intervened in the parade to protest the Labor Party and their complicity in the ongoing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza”.
The post claimed protesters used “smoke effects” rather than flares, as previously reported.
Anti-police group Pride in Protest, which ran a small rally near the entrance of the Mardi Gras and had a float in the parade, praised the group as “staunch” and claimed on social media to stand in solidarity with it.
While NSW Police would not say how many officers attended the protest for operational reasons, it said their “high-visibility and mobile police operation” was successful, and described the behaviour of the 120,000-strong crowd as “pleasing”.
NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb deemed the night of “compromise” a success.
The Police Commissioner walked in the centre of the police float alongside Police Minister Yasmin Catley.
On the sidelines of the parade, Commissioner Webb said it had been “a tough week” and it felt good to have Mardi Gras crowds cheering for them on Saturday.
Police were initially asked by Mardi Gras organisers not to attend the event before coming to an agreement to march out of uniform.
“We’ve had a great reception and it’s been a great night,” Commissioner Webb said. “It’s a compromise that we’re here but we are here. And I think it’s a great display of inclusion that we’re a part of this and … a part of the community.”
Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras CEO Gil Beckwith called the 46th parade, which included a brief moment of reflection for Baird and Davies, “a vibrant testament to the strength and resilience of the LGBTQIA+ community”.
“As we marched under the banner of ‘Our Future’, we not only honour the past 45 years of history and progress but also took a bold step toward shaping a more inclusive and diverse future,” Ms Beckwith said.
To join the conversation, please log in. Don't have an account? Register
Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout