Mental health crisis rocking 18-24 year olds
Confidential Andrews government data reveals young adults are battling a surge in self harm and suicidal ideation.
Surging numbers of mental health emergencies are striking young Victorian adults due to the 18-month pandemic and the state’s multiple lockdowns, confidential Andrews government data has revealed.
A report by the Victorian Agency for Health Information report shows that young adults aged 18 to 24 are suffering significant increases in intentional self-harm and suicidal ideation.
The 47-page report reveals that the mental health crisis hitting the state’s teenagers has broadened to engulf youths in their late teens and early 20s.
The report shows that in the six weeks to May 2, the average weekly number of self-harm and suicidal ideation cases was 122, up almost 12 per cent on 2020 and 14 per cent on 2019.
“The number of intentional self-harm and suicidal ideation (emergency department) presentations … is statistically significant,” one senior child and adolescent psychiatrist said.
“Young and emerging adults as well as teenagers are under major pressure.”
The Andrews government has acknowledged the mental health crisis, saying it was committing $220m in extra funding to boost frontline services.
The government said it was constantly monitoring the mental health data so it could respond quickly to increased demand with additional resources, including a $2m boost for eating disorder treatments, $2.24m to deliver a headspace waiting list blitz for young people and $3.13m in support packages for community organisations.
The Australian has exposed the full extent of the youth mental health crisis linked to the pandemic and the lockdowns after obtaining four confidential government reports tracking case numbers. The data exposing the problems among those aged 18 to 24 is particularly concerning to mental health experts as it points to a loss of hope about the future.
“Last year, these young adults bunkered down for the greater cause,” one frontline mental health expert said.
“But in the past six months, with these new lockdowns, they’re thinking ‘This wasn’t just last year. What’s with my future? Why would I bother looking for a job outside a government pay cheque? I’m not going to be able to travel’.
“It’s dawning on them that this is not over.”
The May 3 report also reveals there has been a significant decline in crisis face-to-face or video conference interventions by Crisis Assessment Treatment Teams in residents’ homes.
In the six weeks to March 26, the weekly average number of services across Victoria was 195, a 46 per cent drop on 2020. In Melbourne, during the same period, average weekly services by CATT psychiatrists was 144, down 43.5 per cent on last year.
“This is a terrible thing,” the frontline mental health expert said, adding that Covid restrictions were mostly responsible for the plunge in home visits.
To join the conversation, please log in. Don't have an account? Register
Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout