Lost days after fatal NT chopper crash
NT police did not attend the site of the fatal chopper crash that killed Outback Wrangler cast member Chris ‘Willow’ Wilson in February before the Australian Transport Safety Bureau arrived.
Northern Territory police did not attend the site of the fatal chopper crash that killed Outback Wrangler cast member Chris “Willow” Wilson in February, and the potential crime scene in a remote part of West Arnhem Land remained unsecured for days until the Australian Transport Safety Bureau arrived.
NT police also did not take possession of the destroyed helicopter until June, up to which time it had been stored in a Nautilus Aviation hangar in Darwin.
These are among new details The Australian can reveal about what happened on and after February 28 – when Wilson was killed during a crocodile egg-collecting mission – including who attended the crash site, what they allegedly did there and a clearer timeline of events.
Wilson – who starred on reality television shows Outback Wrangler, Matt Wright’s Wild Territory and Wild Croc Territory – was killed when the Robinson R44 helicopter from which he was dangling crashed on the King River on the last day of Darwin’s wet season. The 34-year-old had been strapped into a harness attached to a 30m-long line to collect crocodile eggs when the chopper hit terrain, soon after takeoff, about 30km south of South Goulburn Island.
The R44 Raven II registered VH-IDW was operated by Mr Wright’s company Helibrook.
The ATSB’s preliminary report revealed that three chopper crews were preparing to start egg-collection operations on the King River about 9am on February 28.
Wilson and his pilot, Sebastian Robinson, planned to collect eggs from a nearby nest while the other two crews set off to collect eggs about 12km away.
When, by 10.14am, the other crews had not heard from Wilson or Robinson, one of the pilots – Michael Burbidge – returned to look for them.
At 10.36am, Mr Burbidge found the wreckage of VH-IDW in a paperbark swamp just 300m from the staging area. His best mate’s body was found about 40m from the chopper.
After reassuring Mr Robinson, Mr Burbidge returned to his chopper and took off to get mobile reception and call for help.
Soon after, senior NT policeman Neil Mellon, who was close friends with Wilson, flew to the scene with Mr Wright and Darwin publican Mick Burns, who owns the crocodile-egg harvesting business.
Meanwhile their wives – Kaia Wright, Sandi Mellon and Jade Burbidge – drove to Wilson’s home, south of Darwin, and broke the news of his death to his wife, Danielle. The couple has two young sons.
Mr Mellon, while off duty, retrieved his friend’s body, took photos and established the crime scene while waiting for other authorities to arrive.
Police sources have told The Australian that management directed Mr Mellon, who had travelled to the crash site “as a friend”, to place himself on duty and manage the crime scene, despite him being alone and in a “state of shock”.
CareFlight arrived about 12.30pm and flew Mr Robinson to hospital. The 28-year-old is still recovering from serious injuries.
NT police says they were advised of the crash – 500km east of Darwin – shortly before 11am and sent officers from Goulburn Island to attend the scene, which was several hours away by boat.
However, NT police will not confirm or comment on whether those officers ever arrived at the location.
“They were up a swamp, 100km inland,” a police source said.
“There was no way the Goulburn cops could get there; it was ridiculous.”
As a result, the crash site was not secured until ATSB investigators arrived at the scene about March 2.
What happened between the downed chopper being found and the ATSB’s arrival has come under intense police scrutiny.
On August 25, major crash detectives arrested then Acting Senior Sergeant Mellon as he arrived at the Darwin police station for work. The next day he was charged with dozens of offences, including making a false statement, the destruction of evidence and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in relation to the major crash investigation.
The 47-year-old has since resigned.
On September 21, Mr Burbidge – the first person to arrive on the scene – was charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, attempt to pervert the course of justice, destruction of evidence and providing a false statement in a statutory declaration.
Mr Mellon returns to the Darwin Local Court on Wednesday and Mr Burbidge is due back in court on November 23.