NewsBite

British former deputy may return as state’s top cop

Fifteen years after being ‘hounded’ out of Victoria Police, Sir Ken Jones is ready to take on the top job. But will he get it?

Former deputy police commissioner Sir Ken Jones. Picture: News Limited
Former deputy police commissioner Sir Ken Jones. Picture: News Limited

Former Victoria Police deputy chief commissioner Sir Ken Jones has launched a dramatic bid to return as the state’s new top cop, almost 15 years after he was “hounded” from the force by rivals.

The Australian can reveal the highly regarded British police officer, who returned to live in the UK after being a Victoria Police deputy commissioner between 2009 and 2011, has told supporters he has applied to replace the ousted Shane Patton as the state’s chief commissioner.

Sir Ken, who was in effect banished from Victoria Police after falling out with then chief commissioner Simon Overland and his loyalists, has made it known he’s willing to return to lead the force out of its current crisis.

The veteran police commander has told supporters that he’d be willing to relocate if he was given the authority to clean up the force.

He has been approached for comment by The Australian.

Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent on Wednesday. Picture: David Crosling
Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent on Wednesday. Picture: David Crosling

Sir Ken, who built a reputation as a fierce anti-corruption fighter during his time in senior UK policing roles, raised the alarm internally during his two years as a deputy commissioner about misconduct in Victoria Police, including the recruitment of gang-war barrister Nicola Gobbo in what ­became the Lawyer X scandal.

His re-emergence as a leadership contender comes as the Allan government has plunged into a fresh police command crisis, with interim chief commissioner Rick Nugent unexpectedly withdrawing from the race to be the permanent top cop.

Mr Nugent, who took over as interim chief commissioner only 41 days ago, had been tipped to replace ousted chief Shane Patton, but on Wednesday he confirmed he was out of the race.

Denying he was quitting due to complaints lodged with the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission, Mr Nugent said he had changed his mind and would no longer be ­applying for the job.

“Always on, never off, for the full five-year term. That is what our hardworking members and employees deserve. And that is what our community deserves,” he said.

“After almost four decades at Victoria Police, plus 18 months as Emergency Management Commissioner, I cannot say, hand on heart, that I have it in me to fulfil the duties of this office for the full five years.

“It is simple yet unavoidably true, life is short and there are other passions and opportunities that I wish to pursue.”

Victorian Opposition Leader Brad Battin has lauded Sir Ken and slammed Premier Jacinta Allan over the police crisis.

“I’ve known Ken Jones for a long period of time … but if he’s the best person for the job, and he can deliver and stand up for the members, that will be something for the government to consider,” he said.

Mr Battin said the government had caused “chaos” within Victoria Police through its “continuous political interference” in the force’s decisions. “The Allan Labor government are solely responsible for what is happening in the Victorian police,” he said.

“They made the decision to get rid of Shane Patton, they made the decision to bring in Rick Nugent, and now they have to live with the consequences that why would any person want to apply for the role of chief commissioner in this state when they know they’re going to have the continued political interference from a government that is more based on ideology than the safety of Victorians.”

Mr Battin accused the Allan government of political interference in Victoria Police at “levels we’ve never seen”.

“The consequence is the men and women who serve us each and every day have lost faith in their own management,” he said.

“Victoria Police should be an independent authority to deliver community safety for Victorians.”

Ms Allan has denied the state’s acting police chief commissioner’s decision not to apply for the top job reflected issues within the force.

“I think it’s important to be clear with the facts here. Rick Nugent agreed to act in the role of chief commissioner whilst the process was under way, and continues to be under way, to go through the process to appoint a chief commissioner,” Ms Allan said.

“He will continue to act in the role. He’s the right person to continue.”

Ms Allan said she respected Mr Nugent’s decision, which she said had come after “a period of reflection, discussions with his family, and discussions with other members in the police force”.

Why Rick Nugent is quitting Victoria's top cop job

Mr Nugent denied media reports that his sudden resignation was linked to a complaint to the IBAC. “I want to be completely clear about media reporting this morning about complaints that have been made to IBAC,” he said.

“These allegations are entirely wrong and I look forward to meeting with IBAC to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.”

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/british-former-deputy-may-return-as-states-top-cop/news-story/8dfb4687494f4dcb85a12b6efae70960