Prince Harry, Meghan Markle say New York paparazzi chase ‘near-catastrophic’
The Sussexes say ‘highly-aggressive paparazzi’ staged a ‘two-hour pursuit’ through the streets of New York … but a key eyewitness says their claims were ‘exaggerated’.
Prince Harry and Meghan claim they were involved in a two-hour “near-catastrophic car chase” with paparazzi photographers in New York.
However, a taxi driver who was waved down to drive the Sussexes says their claims were ‘exaggerated’, while an agency representing the photographers has alleged it was the Sussexes’ security detail that was driving erractically. New York police also confirmed no arrests were made and there no reported collisions.
In an emotive statement issued by their spokesperson overnight, the Sussexes said they – along with Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland – were involved in a car chase “at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi” after returning from a Tuesday evening awards ceremony.
‘This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near-collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers.”
An NYPD spokesperson said the police assisted the private security team protecting Prince Harry and Meghan and that there were numerous photographers who made their transport “challenging”.
The Sussexes, and their private security detail, sought refuge at several police stations to attempt to shake off the paparazzi, including one reported attempt to leave a station in a taxi.
"The taxi driver who transported the couple after attending an event on Tuesday told The Washington Post in an interview that he would not call the incident a chase, adding that he felt safe during the ride."https://t.co/rEV9E65wQ3
— Adam Creighton (@Adam_Creighton) May 17, 2023
In the wake of the Sussexes’ statement, New York Mayor Eric Adams expressed concern that public safety may have been compromised and said two of his officers “could have been injured”. He has asked for further information.
However he raised eyebrows about the claims of a two-hour chase through his city, noting: “It’s hard to believe there was a two-hour high speed chase, but we will find out the exact duration.”
Mr Adams said it was clear that the press and paparazzi wanted to “get the right shot and the right story” but emphasised public safety must always be at the forefront.
“The briefing I received, two of our officers could have been injured. New York City is different from a small town somewhere, you shouldn’t be speeding anywhere but this is a densely populated city.
“I don’t think there is many of us who don’t recall how his mum died. It would be horrific to lose an innocent bystander in something like this and for something to happen to them [Harry and Meghan] as well.
“We have to be extremely responsible. I thought that was a bit reckless and irresponsible.”
Harry, Meghan and Doria were staying at a friend’s house but because they were being followed decided not to return there, instead trying to shake off the photographers.
It was suggested that the paparazzi drove on pavements, through red lights and reversed down one way streets as well as talking on phones while driving and taking pictures.
The three had been at a function where Meghan received the Ms Foundation’s Women of Vision Award, in recognition of what organisers said was her global advocacy to empower and advocate on behalf of women and girls.
It was the first notable appearance by Meghan, 41, since she decided to miss the May 6 coronation of King Charles – her father in law and the man who walked her down the aisle.
Harry has been very sensitive about paparazzi, blaming them for causing the death of his mother Princess Diana, who died in a Paris tunnel in 1997. He is also currently involved in five different legal cases against British media companies for invasion of privacy.
However, in Netflix series Harry & Meghan, misleading footage of photographers was used to illustrate the couple’s claims they had been pursued in Britain. The footage used in the series was from photographers waiting for celebrity Katie Price, while another segment used footage connected to Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Michael Cohen leaving his New York apartment. A third piece of vision was a group of photographers behind the security barrier for a Harry Potter film premiere in 2011.
The Sussex spokesman said: “Last night, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Ms Ragland were involved in a near catastrophic car chase at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi.
“This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers.
In other words, they drove aimlessly around Manhattan for almost two hours to create drama and waste NYPD time rather than driving five minutes to their accommodation on the UES. Footage for the next Netflix series? https://t.co/LsgxeLJY9A
— Miranda Devine (@mirandadevine) May 17, 2023
“While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety.
“Dissemination of these images, given the ways in which they were obtained, encourages a highly intrusive practice that is dangerous to all in involved.”
It appears that the moment of heightened tension for the Sussexes came after they had switched to a New York taxi, hailed off the street by their security detail to try to thwart the photographers, and leaving their convoy of SUV cars behind.
But a video shows that when this taxi, with Harry, Meghan and Doria in the back seat, had stopped to allow two police cars – seemingly attending another separate incident – to pass by, the paparazzi surrounded the taxi, taking pictures.
The security guard hopped out of the front seat of the taxi and asked the photographers to move away, to which they are heard politely responding “yes, sir”.
â ï¸BREAKING: Harry and Meghan enter a taxi and go ahead while NYPD turn right in alleged 2 hour âcar chaseâ pic.twitter.com/JhnXgUL6cB
— Breaking News (@NewsJunkieBreak) May 17, 2023
It appears at this point the security guard then asked the taxi driver to return everyone back to the police station from which he had first picked them up.
When asked by the BBC if there was a ‘near-catastrophic chase’, the taxi driver, Sukhcharn Singh, said: “I don’t think that’s true. I think that’s all exaggerated.”
Mr Singh told the Washington Post they were pursued by two vehicles – a black Honda Accord and an older grey Honda CR-V – but that he didn’t feel in danger.
Mr Singh said he picked up the four about 11pm outside the New York City Police Department’s 19th precinct on East 67th Street. Mr Singh said he drove the group the block-and-a-half west to Park Avenue before heading south.
“They kept following us and were coming next to the car,” Singh said of the two cars. “They took pictures as we stopped and they were filming us.”
Mr Singh said the security guard then grew concerned about the photographers as he didn’t want their location shared more widely.
In an interview to The Post, taxi driver Sukhcharn Singh said he picked up Harry, Meghan, an older Black woman and one security guard around 11 p.m. on Tuesday outside the New York City Police Departmentâs 19th precinct.
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) May 17, 2023
He said he drove them for a brief period, during which it⦠pic.twitter.com/OzF5wMx8Ff
“I don’t think I would call it a chase,” Mr Singh said. “I never felt like I was in danger. It wasn’t like a car chase in a movie. They were quiet and seemed scared but it’s New York – it’s safe.”
Backgrid, a photo agency, issued a statement saying that four freelance photographers – three travelling in cars and one on a bicycle – were there to cover the couple’s stay including the possibility of a dinner after an award ceremony.
But the photographers have claimed it was Harry’s security detail that was driving in a manner perceived to be reckless.
In the statement, Backgrid said the photographers had reported one of the four SUV’s from Prince Harry’s security escort “was driving in a manner that could be perceived as reckless”. They added: “The vehicle was seen blocking off streets and in one video, it is shown being pulled over by the police.”
According to the photographers present there were no near-collisions or near-crashes during this incident. The photographers reported feeling that the couple was not in immediate danger at any point.
“They had no intention of causing any distress or harm, as their only tool was their cameras.”
Backgrid also added that a few of the images snapped by its photographs even showed Meghan smiling inside the cab.
To join the conversation, please log in. Don't have an account? Register
Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout