Cameraman left bloodied after Dutton’s football kick goes astray
By Natassia Chrysanthos and Mike Foley
It was a classic case of a picture opportunity gone wrong.
Opposition Leader Peter Dutton was in Darwin this morning, where he stopped to make a funding announcement for a local footy club, the Palmerston Magpies.
Dutton and his entourage, including Northern Territory senator Jacinta Price, then headed down to the oval for a casual kick with a group of children. Cameramen took their positions to get the shot the Coalition’s media team had come for. But after kicking the footy back and forth, one from Dutton’s boot went awry.
The ball went straight towards 10 News First cameraman Ghaith Nadir, who was filming the exchange, knocking his camera into his head and resulting in a bloodied forehead. “Got him,” Dutton said jokingly as the ball connected.
Nadir gave his gear to a colleague and took a towel to his head.
After Nadir gave a thumbs up while walking off the field, Dutton quipped: “That’s your exclusive footage too, mate.”
Nadir was attended to by his media colleagues and Australian Federal Police personnel, and Dutton approached him to check he was alright. The opposition leader offered him a beer in apology, and the pair shook hands. Nadir laughed with colleagues afterwards, bandage wrapped around his head.
Dutton jokingly denied it was his Scott Morrison moment – a reference to the former prime minister’s tackle-gone-wrong with a child in the 2022 election campaign – while taking a swipe at Prime Minister Anthony Albanese later in the afternoon.
“If the prime minister kicked it, he would have told you that it didn’t hit anyone, and you’re imagining something, that it just didn’t happen,” Dutton said.
His comments allude to Albanese’s response to tripping off a stage on Thursday. While video footage showed the prime minister missing the stage and being helped back up, Albanese played it down in an ABC radio interview.
“No, I stepped back one step ... I didn’t fall off the stage,” he said later that day. Only by Friday had Albanese decided the better strategy was to joke about it.
Albanese spent much of his press conference on Saturday evading questions on another topic after he dialled in to ABC Radio to pre-empt Dutton’s announcement that the Coalition would take the Port of Darwin out of the control of a Chinese company called Landbridge.
In response to repeated questions on the matter, Albanese failed to say why his government had not acted during its past three years in office, despite his insistence he had been concerned about Chinese ownership for a decade. The government has previously said a review by security services that it commissioned had found Landbridge’s ownership was manageable.
“We have a political decision that [is] consistent with the position that we’ve had since 2015,” Albanese said on Saturday. “Ever since, we have supported Australian ownership of the port of Darwin, and every single time I have been asked, including during the last election campaign, I have said that.”
Albanese also did not say if he would match Dutton’s pledge to compulsorily acquire the port if a private buyer could not be found within six months.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese gave scant details on the government’s plans for the port of Darwin at a press conference in Longreach, Queensland on Saturday.Credit: Alex Ellinghausen
Albanese said the government had engaged with Landbridge but didn’t say how much the government would consider spending on acquiring the port, or confirm if security advice had changed about the Chinese ownership of the facility.
Dutton insisted that a change in security circumstances was behind his determination to remove the port from Landbridge after the previous Coalition government did not do so.
In a statement, Landbridge said that neither the government nor opposition had contacted it about its lease and declared the port was not for sale. “Landbridge is disappointed that we are being used as a political football in the current election campaign,” the company said.
The opposition leader addressed his own football moment at a press conference later on Saturday.
Asked how he would make up the injury to Nadir, Dutton said: “I can do two things. One, I thought that I can buy him a beer this afternoon. And the second, I can teach him how to mark.
“But it was great to be out there with the kids, and I’ve apologised to [Nadir], and I hope that it’s all repaired soon. But he’s got a war story now from the campaign, and he’ll be on the news tonight.”
Unscripted moments often become the most memorable images of a campaign. Morrison’s foray onto the soccer pitch in 2022 was a defining image of that federal election. He had joined children in a game at the Devonport Strikers soccer club, shedding his suit jacket within moments of his arrival.
Children cheered and one declared him “better than Ronaldo” before the then-prime minister accidentally tackled seven-year-old Luca Fauvette and both crashed to the ground.
“Where’s Luca, where’s Luca? He’s probably gone off to hospital!” he joked after the accident, to a big roar.
Cut through the noise of federal politics with news, views and expert analysis. Subscribers can sign up to our weekly Inside Politics newsletter.