NewsBite

Advertisement

Richard Marles settles workplace lawsuit with former staffer on cusp of election campaign

By Cassandra Morgan

Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles has settled a workplace lawsuit with his former chief of staff Jo Tarnawsky on the cusp of an election campaign, after she claimed she was pushed out of the job after seeking help over alleged bullying from other colleagues.

In a statement on Friday evening, Tarnawsky revealed the settlement on undisclosed terms, saying it brought an end to her workplace dispute.

Jo Tarnawsky, who claimed she was ousted from her job after seeking help over alleged bullying.

Jo Tarnawsky, who claimed she was ousted from her job after seeking help over alleged bullying.Credit: Alex Ellinghausen

Tarnawsky came to work at Parliament House in 2022 with “high hopes” after the government pledged to make the parliamentary workplace safer, she said.

“But my experience has shown that much work remains to be done,” she said in the statement.

“Employees should feel safe to raise workplace concerns with their employers without fear of reprisal. Regrettably, that was not my experience. To obtain resolution, I had to embark on public and traumatic litigation. It is a relief to finally close this chapter and move on with my life.”

Loading

Speaking up came with “many costs”, but so too did remaining silent, Tarnawsky said.

Tarnawsky launched legal action against the deputy prime minister, the Commonwealth and Albanese’s most senior staffer, Tim Gartrell, in November last year, for allegedly pushing her out of her role when she complained of being ignored, belittled and excluded from crucial conversations.

Marles himself was not accused of bullying but Tarnawsky, a former diplomat and one of the most senior women in the government, claimed he shunted her aside despite never previously taking issue with her performance.

Advertisement

The Commonwealth, Marles and Gartrell each filed a defence to the claims and intended to refute them.

A government spokesperson reiterated that the terms of the settlement were confidential, and said: “We’re pleased that the matter has been resolved.

“The welfare of all staff has been front of mind and remains so,” the spokesperson said.

“No adverse findings have been made against any person.

“The proceeding will be discontinued. No further comment will be made about this matter.”

Mediation between the parties began on January 28 and continued into February before breaking down with no settlement, pushing the case to be listed for directions before the Federal Court later that month.

Loading

The statement about the settlement landed in media inboxes late on Friday, at a time typically used to minimise coverage of announcements.

“When I look at what is happening in the world right now, holding firm to your values and standing up for what you believe in matters more than ever,” Tarnawsky said.

“Today I will also close out more than 20 years of service to the Australian government. In the various roles I have held, both in Australia and overseas, I have been proud of the work I have done.”

The Commonwealth manages the litigation and ultimately pays the settlement because it is the technical employer of ministerial staff.

The settlement comes as Labor spruiks its improved female representation in parliament ahead of the election.

The party currently has 121 candidates. Of those, 66 are women and 55 are men. Fifteen Labor women are challenging in another party’s safe seats, while 12 are running for marginal seats that could be more winnable.

Our Breaking News Alert will notify you of significant breaking news when it happens. Get it here.

Most Viewed in Politics

Loading

Original URL: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/richard-marles-settles-workplace-lawsuit-with-former-staffer-on-cusp-of-election-campaign-20250321-p5llkq.html